View Full Version : film loading problem

04-16-2010, 12:46
This is pretty basic.....

MY M6TTL seems to have an issue with film loading. We could also say the owner of my M6 TT has an issue with film loading :)

Once in a while it seems like the film is correctly loaded and it even feels right when advancing but when I go to rewind I get a lot of resistance for jsut a second then the film leaves the take up spool and is sucked back into the cassette. I never had the film correctly onto the take up spool and no film was exposed. I have lost 2-3 rolls like this in the past few weeks.

Today this happened and I got a small ripped piece of film in there!

Everything has been inspected for an obvious issue, teeth are fine all feels solid. Works 90% of the time.

It has got to be me.

Basic perhaps, but can a few folks detail how they load?

hans voralberg
04-16-2010, 13:09
I bend the tip of the film leader so it forms a hook to hook on to the tulip. You could wind on 1 frame while back is open just to make sure.

04-16-2010, 14:19
Tighten the film while in the canister before loading, that way I can watch the rewind crank advance at the start of the roll to make sure it's advancing properly. The tulip doesn't advance the film, the teeths are doing it.

04-17-2010, 02:30

alun severn
04-17-2010, 07:44
It sounds as if you may be getting the film trapped between the guide-rails and the pressure plate -- that has happened to me. It comes from not making sure the film canister is seated properly all the way into the chamber, I think. Load, wind on and fire off a couple frames watching to make sure the rewind knob revolves. Then use the rewind to wind back and fully tension the film.

04-17-2010, 08:24
Alun, the camera bottom plate won't close unless the cassette is properly seated. David will probably do well to follow Hans and tj01.

Nikkor AIS
04-17-2010, 09:43
Hans, thanks for the tip about bending the film leader. Huge difference in the speed and convenience of loading my M7 :). Now I can actually load the camera fast. I wish I knew that little trick this winter when holding those metal cameras with frozen fingers. Damn.

04-17-2010, 11:46
the hook made a big difference but also I think i was not getting it far enough up in the camera. I "might" have been sort of forcing the bottom plate on and bending the film.

Maybe I shoudl slow down a bit...:)