PDA

View Full Version : film loading problem

atlcruiser
04-16-2010, 12:46
This is pretty basic.....

MY M6TTL seems to have an issue with film loading. We could also say the owner of my M6 TT has an issue with film loading :)

Once in a while it seems like the film is correctly loaded and it even feels right when advancing but when I go to rewind I get a lot of resistance for jsut a second then the film leaves the take up spool and is sucked back into the cassette. I never had the film correctly onto the take up spool and no film was exposed. I have lost 2-3 rolls like this in the past few weeks.

Today this happened and I got a small ripped piece of film in there!

Everything has been inspected for an obvious issue, teeth are fine all feels solid. Works 90% of the time.

It has got to be me.

Basic perhaps, but can a few folks detail how they load?

hans voralberg
04-16-2010, 13:09
I bend the tip of the film leader so it forms a hook to hook on to the tulip. You could wind on 1 frame while back is open just to make sure.

tj01
04-16-2010, 14:19
Tighten the film while in the canister before loading, that way I can watch the rewind crank advance at the start of the roll to make sure it's advancing properly. The tulip doesn't advance the film, the teeths are doing it.

hippocamera
04-17-2010, 02:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEyt94xMNUY

alun severn
04-17-2010, 07:44
It sounds as if you may be getting the film trapped between the guide-rails and the pressure plate -- that has happened to me. It comes from not making sure the film canister is seated properly all the way into the chamber, I think. Load, wind on and fire off a couple frames watching to make sure the rewind knob revolves. Then use the rewind to wind back and fully tension the film.

payasam
04-17-2010, 08:24
Alun, the camera bottom plate won't close unless the cassette is properly seated. David will probably do well to follow Hans and tj01.

Nikkor AIS
04-17-2010, 09:43
Hans, thanks for the tip about bending the film leader. Huge difference in the speed and convenience of loading my M7 :). Now I can actually load the camera fast. I wish I knew that little trick this winter when holding those metal cameras with frozen fingers. Damn.

Gregory

atlcruiser
04-17-2010, 11:46
the hook made a big difference but also I think i was not getting it far enough up in the camera. I "might" have been sort of forcing the bottom plate on and bending the film.

Maybe I shoudl slow down a bit...:)