PDA

View Full Version : KEH Leica IIIC

MarkoKovacevic
05-16-2009, 10:50
I'm thinking of buying this: http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LS020600005250&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=searchproducts&item=0&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&BC=&BCC=&CC=&CCC=&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=Leica%20IIIc

And I'm wondering if it will need a CLA? I'm also wondering if my Jupiter 8 lens will focus correctly on it.

mabelsound
05-16-2009, 10:51
KEH cameras are supposed to be in good working order, but I've gotten at least one that was nowhere near. They accept returns very readily though and are nice on the phone if you have a problem, unlike your average eBay seller...

LeicaTom
05-16-2009, 10:57
I`d phone and ask, at that price, you can`t expect one though.....if it has good curtains, I`d send it off to Youxin Ye to get it fine tuned :)

Jupiter 8 will fit on the camera, but if it`s dead-on that`s up to the lens?

I never use Russian stuff b/c it was mounted on cameras that don`t have the same specs as a LTM Leica, many Russian lenses don`t focus properly, save your money and buy a Elmar lens, that`s the BEST lens to put on a IIIC :)

Tom

pschauss
05-16-2009, 11:01
I bought a IIIa from them, rated EX, for about the same price that they are asking for the BGN grade version. It looked like a new camera and worked perfectly except for the 1/1000 speed. I use all of my FSU lenses (I-22, J-3, J-8, J-9, and J-11) on mine.

With regard to the 1/1000 speed I read on the photonet forum that this speed did not work very well on the IIIa, and since I did not have any other issues with the camera I have not bothered to have it worked on.

mabelsound
05-16-2009, 11:02
Yes, my M2 was KEH EX and works like a charm!

MarkoKovacevic
05-16-2009, 11:02
I`d phone and ask, at that price, you can`t expect one though.....if it has good curtains, I`d send it off to Youxin Ye to get it fine tuned :)

Jupiter 8 will fit on the camera, but if it`s dead-on that`s up to the lens?

I never use Russian stuff b/c it was mounted on cameras that don`t have the same specs as a LTM Leica, many Russian lenses don`t focus properly, save your money and buy a Elmar lens, that`s the BEST lens to put on a IIIC :)

Tom

I called and the person said the camera should be fully working, and that they check it before it's put into inventory, and a CLA performed if needed.

I really don't have the cash right now for a Leica lens, I'm considering downgrading the F4 I'm gonna purchase to a N90s to be able to afford this Leica.

Should I expect the J8 to work/focus on the Leica?

MarkoKovacevic
05-16-2009, 11:07
Also, is the J8 lens going to block the finder? If so, how much?

Pickett Wilson
05-16-2009, 11:09
I've had a couple of J8's that focused fine on the IIIc, but it's always a crap shoot. Are you currently using this on an FSU?

MarkoKovacevic
05-16-2009, 11:15
I've had a couple of J8's that focused fine on the IIIc, but it's always a crap shoot. Are you currently using this on an FSU?

Yeah, well at least I was using it on a Zorki 4 before the shutter broke on it. Always focused perfectly on it.

3 Olives
05-16-2009, 11:59
You might want to contact Youxin Ye first, as he may have a body with a CLA for sale. [email protected]

Vince Lupo
05-16-2009, 12:42
KEH really stands behind their stuff. My experience (after having purchased from them for at least 10 years) is that they generally undergrade stuff. In other words, their 'Bargain' is usually someone else's 'Excellent'.

And there's really no point to call and ask them about a specific body - the people on the phone are order takers, and they can't exactly go back to the shelves and pull that particular camera. But, I know that most of them are pretty knowledgeable (Will, Dan, Arthur), and have dealt with this stuff enough to be able to give you general comments about cameras like this that are rated 'Bargain' or 'Excellent' or whatever.

I bought a lens from them a couple of months ago that was rated 'Ugly', and you know what? It's fine! Same with a prism for a Rollei SL66 that I bought at the same time which was also rated 'Ugly'.

Spider67
05-16-2009, 12:48
With J 8's it's rather strange: My 2 older chrome samples I could not even screw one, the later black ones worked just OK. I use mainly a I-22 on it or a VC 21/4. The best lens I is my Canon 50mm/f 1.8 chrome (Serenar)

mh2000
05-21-2009, 12:40
I bought a similar IIIc from KEH... and unlike most my purchases in this case, they weren't that conservative... it had all the little marks they say and "EX" can have. A friend said he had the same experience. For "collectable" cameras KEH doesn't give you more than they promise. That said, I did get a pretty camera, not mint, but still nice. I do plan on sending it in for a mirror replacement sometime though... works, but would be nice if it was brighter. You should enjoy the IIIc. The J8 blocks the corner of the VF, not terribly, but it does block it. I'd get a I-22 as well, nice small lens. I also have a C/V Color-Skopar 50/2.5 that I think is really nice.

brachal
05-21-2009, 13:03
I bought a IIIc, converted to IIIf-BD with self-timer, from KEH. It was beautiful, but the shutter was a wreck. They were great about the return -- very pleasant and easy to deal with -- and I had a IIIf-RD and change back in a week. The new camera was perfect. It did require a CLA after about a year, but I sent it to Youxin Ye and was extremely pleased with his work.

I've used a Jupiter-3 and Industar-10 on my IIIf, and they've worked out just fine.