PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Minolta Autocord?

wblanchard
05-25-2005, 11:23
I'm thinking of buying or trading for a Minolta Autocord camera. I hear the lens is tack sharp and the contrast is amazing. I think this would be a perfect companion to my Hexar AF. Anyone use the Autocord and want to comment on it?

jlw
05-25-2005, 12:16
I used to own one. It's nice to use and the controls are convenient, but there's no focusing aid of any kind, so focusing requires care in anything other than bright light. The lens is a good Tessar type and performs well, although I would describe the contrast as "good" rather than "amazing."

You do realize the Autocord is a rollfilm twin-lens reflex camera, not an RF camera, right? :-)

wblanchard
05-25-2005, 12:27
I used to own one. It's nice to use and the controls are convenient, but there's no focusing aid of any kind, so focusing requires care in anything other than bright light. The lens is a good Tessar type and performs well, although I would describe the contrast as "good" rather than "amazing."

You do realize the Autocord is a rollfilm twin-lens reflex camera, not an RF camera, right? :-)

Sorry...forgot. i won't mention the camera anymore on the forums since it's not a RF. I just got excited to try one out and expand my photo skills. :angel:

Borghesia
05-25-2005, 12:49
I do not have an Autocord, but want to reply on a addition of a light TLR + Hexar AF.
I think it's a verry good combo for trips abroad. I always (only) take a Hexar Af and a Rolleiflex T on long journy's. The Hexar for the fast shots and the TLR for the high quality shots.
I heard good things about the Autocord, especially of its film flatness, which should give you sharp pictures even in the corners.

Roger Hicks
05-25-2005, 12:52
A friend of mine shot a 48-sheet poster with one...

Cheers,

Roger

wblanchard
05-27-2005, 08:17
A friend of mine shot a 48-sheet poster with one...

Cheers,

Roger

48-sheet poster?!!! :)

I don't think I will be shooting one of those anytime soon, but that's pretty amazing. It sounds like the size for those mobile advertising vehicles. How did it look?

Roger Hicks
05-27-2005, 10:25
48-sheet is a BIG hoarding poster -- a lot bigger than a mobile vehicle. Of course the resolution on a big poster is low -- you can see the screen dots with the naked eye -- but it's normally seen at anything from a few yards to several hundred yards. He spoke very highly of it (understandably) but I never saw the poster and he's dead this half-decade so I can't find out now...

Cheers,

Roger

xcapekey
05-27-2005, 12:20
good camera...true about lack of focusing aid...i ended up selling mine and got a rolleiflex so i could put in a split level and a prism...

it is a good camera and has a similar tab focusing to RF lenses...i use to memorize the distance by the location of the tab on the autocord...makes for quicker focusing

RObert Budding
05-27-2005, 13:31
I own an Autocord CDS III and it's a very nice camera. Excellent ergonomics and yes, the lense is very sharp. Highly recommended.

Robert

Rick Beckrich
06-18-2006, 06:43
Sorry for the late response, but I've been out of the loop for awhile.

IMO- (having recently sold my own Autocord) this camera can produce negatives
that equal anything I saw from any of my three Rolleiflexes. Period.

The Minolta Autocords are terrific, durable cameras... far less likely to
have been overworked than comparable Rolleis... and a lot less money!

Rick

kabkos
06-18-2006, 09:42
The Autocord is an excellent camera, with very high contrast and sharp lenses (except for the few that I have had to re-repair after a tech messed them up, helps to have the proper tools). I have checked many a lens with my autocollimators (yes, I am a sicky and have two of them) and I have found that the Autocord and the Ricoh Diacord are the best Tessar design lenses used in TLR's, even surpassing in contrast and lines/mm the more expensive Planar and Xenotar. The weak link can be the focus helix, the lubricants over time have oxidized and hardened. A relubed helix, with modern synthetic greases, will last 25+ years. All of the shutters that Minolta used were excellent, Optiper, Citizen, Seikosha. Some will say the Citizen shutters are the best, but I have repaired them all and have found them all to be well built redesigns of the German Compur and Prontor shutters. As for focusing aids, the viewing lens is faster than the taking lens so that depth of field compensates for minor focus descrepancies (meaning if it looks focussed on the ground glass, then it will be focussed on the film). The major thing going for Autocords is the way the film comes off of the roll of film across the film gate before it gets bent to go on the take up spool. This means you don't have the problems that Rollei had were if the film sat for awhile then you end up with a crease in the film when you take the next frame. The crease in the film does have a major impact on how flat the film is in the film gate.
karl

colyn
06-18-2006, 10:27
The Autocord is as good as the Rolleiflex in my opinion.
However the one thing you need to watch for is a stiff focus lever which is located under the taking lens and is sometimes found broken off because of the user trying to force it.
This camera is everything people say it is. Far better than even the Yashicas.

lushd
06-18-2006, 10:41
Hi - I use mine quite a bit and I have had some very pleasant results out of it. It's very easy to use and the quality is high. A few rolls of 120 just slip through. Here's a shot I took in March. It's Foma 100 film developed in Rodinal at high dilution.

graycardzzz
04-05-2007, 11:35
The Autocord is an excellent camera, with very high contrast and sharp lenses (except for the few that I have had to re-repair after a tech messed them up, helps to have the proper tools). I have checked many a lens with my autocollimators (yes, I am a sicky and have two of them) and I have found that the Autocord and the Ricoh Diacord are the best Tessar design lenses used in TLR's, even surpassing in contrast and lines/mm the more expensive Planar and Xenotar. The weak link can be the focus helix, the lubricants over time have oxidized and hardened. A relubed helix, with modern synthetic greases, will last 25+ years. All of the shutters that Minolta used were excellent, Optiper, Citizen, Seikosha. Some will say the Citizen shutters are the best, but I have repaired them all and have found them all to be well built redesigns of the German Compur and Prontor shutters. As for focusing aids, the viewing lens is faster than the taking lens so that depth of field compensates for minor focus descrepancies (meaning if it looks focussed on the ground glass, then it will be focussed on the film). The major thing going for Autocords is the way the film comes off of the roll of film across the film gate before it gets bent to go on the take up spool. This means you don't have the problems that Rollei had were if the film sat for awhile then you end up with a crease in the film when you take the next frame. The crease in the film does have a major impact on how flat the film is in the film gate.
karl
Can you help me with a problem I seem to be having with a Minolta Autocord I have just acquired? It has an optiper -mvl shutter. Every setting except the shutter speed seems to work well. For some reason I cannot get the shutter speed off 1/125 second. Am I missing a release for the shutter speed's lever, or do I need to find a repair person? Thanks!

VictorM.
04-05-2007, 12:26
That doesn't sound good, but maybe the problem is related to the LVS system (which linked the speeds and apertures). Download a manual for more info: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/minolta/minolta_autocord_cds/minolta_autocord_cds.htm Butkus also has other Autocord manuals.

KoNickon
04-05-2007, 12:37
Maybe risk a little lighter fluid (naphtha) into the slot where the shutter speed lever attaches. See if that loosens it up. If so, then exercise it up and down the shutter speed range.

Failing that, send it off to Karl Bryan in Oregon.

minmingg
04-08-2007, 03:48
dear all. i have autocord cds I and III, and some accessories,likes hood,close up filter, autopole ,uv filter and so on... so love this tlr....