PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell wife I need a Nikon Coolscan?

Brit In New York
01-26-2009, 09:03
I have been a happy lurker here for a good couple of years that has led me to invest more than my wife's engagement ring in a G1, Hexar RF and finally the M6 I always wanted. This is my first post...

So I have a very enjoyable (and I stress enjoyable) workflow of getting XP2 processed and scanned by a decent lab (www.coopersimaging.com (http://www.coopersimaging.com)). I really enjoy the anticipation of waiting for the scanned CD to come back. I loath using computers outside the office so this process is great as it limits my PC time to a bit of elementary photoshop.

Now, for WEB gallery images will I get much better tonal results with a Coolscan over the lab's Fuji Frontier. Anything I fall in love with I will wet print.
I could see the clear beneft of a Coolscan if I was printing using an inkjet but would will I get better scans for online publication (tonal range rather than resolution is key here....) I am still a perfectionist when it comes to online prints.

You can see a sample role here:
http://markdorosz.zenfolio.com/p889005403

Your thoughts are appreciated as we enter tax season and family finance planning with my spouse.

Steve Ash
01-26-2009, 09:07
How does she tells you that she urgently requires a new pair of shoes? ;)

Regards
Steve

Goldorak
01-26-2009, 09:14
Scared of the wife?

Brit In New York
01-26-2009, 09:15
Cheers Gents.

Based on the link I submitted in the original post
http://markdorosz.zenfolio.com/p889005403

Do you reckon I would get better online results with a Nikon Coolsan?

PS She generally just purchases the shoes, claims they were bought years ago and then insists I should pay more attention...

Chriscrawfordphoto
01-26-2009, 09:21
If you can afford it on your (not her) income, then buy it. You have the right to a life, you don't need to beg your wife for it unless you intend to spend money she, not you, earned.

Al Kaplan
01-26-2009, 09:23
...and you SHOULD pay more attention. Tell her that you don't want to develop a shoe fetish, though. Also, tell her about the cute secretary you keep running into when you go out to lunch, and you chat photograpy, you both having noticed that you both carry cameras. Next, tell the wife that when you'd mentioned your desire to get a coolspan this cute chick said "Oh, I have one and don't live all that far away. You're more than welcome to come over and use mine anytime you like..."

Borghesia
01-26-2009, 09:24
I told my wife last week about the Coolscan maybe being out of production.
She just said : "Then you have to be quick to buy one".
So I ordered one from the last batches here in the Netherlands.

vdonovan
01-26-2009, 10:14
Get your doctor to prescribe it.

uhligfd
01-26-2009, 10:19
Divorce your wife and marry your camera. That would solve it.

rickp
01-26-2009, 10:37
position the scanner as a front-load toaster? :D

cheers

rick

dfoo
01-26-2009, 10:47
I showed my wife my nice shiny new coolscan... she asked me how much it was. I told her less than the purse she bought last week. Ha! She's looking forward to seeing the scans ;)

Roger Hicks
01-26-2009, 11:54
If you can afford it on your (not her) income, then buy it. You have the right to a life, you don't need to beg your wife for it unless you intend to spend money she, not you, earned.
Dear Chris,

Seconded.

Cheers,

R.

pesphoto
01-26-2009, 11:58
Tell her someone on an internet forum was selling it used for next to nothing to help out a fellow photog....

bohdan
01-26-2009, 14:52
I sold it by first coming up with some kind of project that I wanted to do with her. She loves churches, I am Ukrainian...so I wanted to photograph Ukrainian churches.

Then I told her I wanted to do it BW, which she thought was a great idea. Then I showed her how much I would save by buying the scanner over sending it out to have done. Never mind the fact that it took about a lot of scans for it to pay for it self.

She was into the idea about doing the project together. Since photography is something she like that I do (not necessarily something she likes to do, herself), she eventually lost interest.

Think long term advantages, quality, and including her...worked for me. It did not hurt that I said okay one her buying some leather boots. That part was good for me as well.

wontonny
01-26-2009, 15:04
Tell her it's the alternative to using volatile chemicals in your household to view your negatives at high resolution.

Gabriel M.A.
01-26-2009, 15:16
I'd say they'll be the longest-lasting pair of expensive shoes you'll ever use? :D

Steve Bellayr
01-26-2009, 15:24
State that you will be able to scan the negatives and send the photos to here family. I always took an extra shot or two or had duplicate prints made (before scan, & still do) works like a charm.

RayPA
01-26-2009, 15:46
you don't really need a Coolscan. there are plenty of other scanners that will work just fine both flatbed and dedicated/multi-format scanners. i've done fine with a dedicated 35mm Minolta scanner, and I've seen where folks are getting good results with Epson's newer flatbeds. HOWEVER the Coolscans are nice and I want one too (the multi-format [9000?]).

Maybe buy some really cheap POS on Craigslist and struggle with it in front of her, make some really ****ty scans. Then throw your arms up in disgust and say "That's it!" "I want good scans of our family!" "Scans that'll do justice to the value of our family photos!" "I'm getting a Nikon Coolscan 9000!" "I want the best!" . Storm over to the computer and order the thing from B&H. :) She'll be rubbing your shoulders and kissing your brow while you type in the CC number.

/

Eric T
01-26-2009, 16:05
Tell your wife that the Coolscan is by far the most efficient and inexpensive way to scan those old family photos that you have meaning to scan for a long time. This would allow you to easily share these old photos with family and friends.
I bet an argument along these lines will work - you simply want to do something for the family.

antistatic
01-26-2009, 21:10
How much have you paid the lab for the scaning over the years?

I used this to justify a Epson V700 to scan medium format when I already had a Coolscan 5000. I did not say directly how much it was but I explained that it would pay for itself after about 5 rolls given the price of MF scanning and burning where I live. She seemed happy enough with this. She even cheered me on when I won an auction for a Rolleiflex on the weekend. I guess I am lucky guy :angel:

Ken Shipman
01-26-2009, 21:35
Buy it and store it in the garage for a week. Then bring it in under your arm casually - unboxed natch - and tell her you finally found a use for this ol' piece of crap you've been holding onto for years.

caffeineshutter
01-26-2009, 21:47
Tell her it's a newly introduced speed-reading course on tape for just $19.99.

amateriat
01-26-2009, 22:02
Before we were under one (her) roof, I started handling all of galfriend's film-related needs: finding a good local lab to process her color neg film (which is all she shoots). From there, I've done all the scanning and printing. There was no questioning when I decided to move to the Minolta DS 5400 several years back (which, BTW, has long since paid for itself from scanning other photographers' film).

Does she have any film around that she hasn't looked at in a bit? ;)

Be warned, though: you might become sorely tempted to get yourself a good printer after you've seen what a good, dedicated film scanner can do. Even more dangerous: your wife might get more into this stuff than you might have imagined...you may well find yourself having to hand that G1 over to her to keep the peace.

(Good thing my gal has her OM2S and Stylus) :D

- Barrett