PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Davidson's Subway on line ...

dmr
01-09-2009, 05:03
I've actually read this book some years ago at the local libe, and it looks like the complete series is now on line.

Street photographers and transit/rail fans will probably find this of interest.

http://www.art-dept.com/artists/davidson/portfolio/subway/newportfolio.html

Very gritty, and a few of the images can be a bit disturbing.

Enjoy! :)

({profanity} can't seem to use italics in the title!)

Ducky
01-09-2009, 05:34
Beautiful work, makes me glad I left the city. I would not like to be in the same car with some of those people let alone point a camera at them.

ClaremontPhoto
01-09-2009, 05:52
Thank you for the link.

I enjoyed the photos, but would not like to be there.

John Lawrence
01-09-2009, 06:18
I've been a fan of Davidson's work ever since I saw his series on East 100th street, so found this very interesting.

Thanks for posting.

benlees
01-09-2009, 06:21
I just returned this book to the library! It is a great book- it is too bad the web version doesn't have the essays. It was fun reading how Mr. Davidson prepared himself, mentally and physically, to go out every day on the subway.

Merelyok
01-09-2009, 06:46
http://www.art-dept.com/artists/davidson/portfolio/subway/061_Davidson.jpg

This shot just about sums it up.

Stunning.

planetjoe
01-09-2009, 07:41
Amazing. I realize that I'd seen several frames from Subway before without realizing they were part of this work. It's especially poignant that I recognize some of the same locations and vistas from my years in NYC.

And I feel I should point out, to those that might think this represents the City today: Davidson compiled this work on the late 1970s, at the nadir of the Subway's history. The City - and its subway system - is very different today, and is probably a subject too mundane to create a monograph from.

dmr, thanks for the link.

Cheers,
--joe.

dmr
01-09-2009, 07:42
Beautiful work, makes me glad I left the city.

That was one reason (among many) that I chose to relocate when I did. I left in the 70's, during the Beame years, as things were starting to get really ugly.

Ironically, the violent crime rate out here (Somewhere In Middle America<tm>) is now higher than in NYC! :(

WoolenMammoth
01-09-2009, 08:10
The City - and its subway system - is very different today, and is probably a subject too mundane to create a monograph from.

seriously. anyone inspired by this work to come here and shoot something similar will be grossly suprised by how sanitized this city has become. Hasn't looked like that in twenty years or more.

nightfly
01-09-2009, 08:25
Now you are more likely to be confronted by an angry wall street guy who didn't get his 5 million dollar bonus and is very testy.

aizan
01-09-2009, 11:01
that webpage doesn't have the same content as the book. it's missing some photos, has some that weren't in the book, and is sequenced differently.

Bob Michaels
01-09-2009, 14:51
Reading this thread I detect the underlying thought that many believe the great social changes are history and there is no more in the present worth documenting for future consumption.

I suggest that everyone get their *ss out there today and document what is happening in 2009 that may be viewed in the future as something significant.

Few of us believe we will be the Bruce Davidson's of 2035. But what so we think Bruce Davidson was believing 25-30 years ago when he was photographing?

The world has too many spectators and needs more participants.

helenhill_HH
01-09-2009, 16:15
Bruce Davidson / LOVE his 'CIRCUS' book.....

Nh3
01-09-2009, 16:52
My dream is do a project in new york.

I will call it simply, New York Hysteria.

WoolenMammoth
01-09-2009, 16:56
tough project.

If there was ever a city whose residents dont give a F about anything, its this one. Hysteria is carefully measured and dispensed...

sepiareverb
01-09-2009, 17:11
Thanks for that!! Brings back some memories for me- though mine are from about 5-10 years later. Much of the subway still looked like this though.

Nh3
01-09-2009, 17:15
I'm speculating but I think Davidson was inspired by the movie The Warriors.

35mmdelux
01-09-2009, 17:19
who said the suburbs sucked?