PDA

View Full Version : M3 between 0.7m and 1m

sanmich
02-12-2008, 08:38
Hi folks

I have found on the web mentions of M3's being easily converted to 0.7m focusing.
I would like to ask:

I have a very cute "new" DS M3 being CLA'd by Youxin (fantastic guy, BTW) and I asked him to adapt it to close focus.

He answered that it is indeed easily done but he " cannot guaranty accuracy under 1m"

Do you know of any focus or parallax problems after the upgrade?

I think I prefer a camera that limits my focus range than a camera that falsely allows me to go under 1mů

BTW, I do not intend to use super-fast lenses and the maximum accuracy needed is probably a 50mm at f/2, maybe f1.4 in the future.. (all my other lenses are shorter FL or limited to 1m anyway)

Thanks

Michael

vrgard
02-12-2008, 09:57
Michael, others can better advise you of the technical details than can I. However, at the suggestion of another RFF member, I had Youxin do that to my DS M3 and it works great.

-Randy

furcafe
02-12-2008, 10:33
I think Youxin is just being very careful in his warranty (maybe he's a lawyer or has had bad experiences w/them ;) ). In the 0.7-1m range you shouldn't have any real problems w/focusing or parallax. Although technically the M3 RF/VF & framelines weren't designed for focusing closer than 1m, I don't believe major differences were introduced in later M bodies that did focus closer (starting w/the M2, IIRC). I would guess that if there are any measurable problems, it would be in the parallax adjustment of the framelines. I had Sherry Krauter adjust my M3 years ago during a CLA & I've never had issues focusing @ the nearest range, even w/the Noctilux @ f/1 or 75 Summilux @ f/1.4.

Hi folks

I have found on the web mentions of M3's being easily converted to 0.7m focusing.
I would like to ask:

I have a very cute "new" DS M3 being CLA'd by Youxin (fantastic guy, BTW) and I asked him to adapt it to close focus.

He answered that it is indeed easily done but he " cannot guaranty accuracy under 1m"

Do you know of any focus or parallax problems after the upgrade?

I think I prefer a camera that limits my focus range than a camera that falsely allows me to go under 1mů

BTW, I do not intend to use super-fast lenses and the maximum accuracy needed is probably a 50mm at f/2, maybe f1.4 in the future.. (all my other lenses are shorter FL or limited to 1m anyway)

Thanks

Michael

sanmich
02-12-2008, 11:22
maybe he's a lawyer or has had bad experiences w/them ;)

LOL:)

Thanks for your answers!

lns
02-12-2008, 12:09
DAG did mine last year, and it works perfectly. I often focus as close at that range. He did say that not every M3 can be adjusted to focus at .7 meters. Mine is a single stroke M3, serial number over 1 million, so it's a later one.

Brian Sweeney
02-12-2008, 12:13
I have an M3 that will focus to 0.7m, but the Auto-Parallax stops about 0.8m or so. It will take a little care to focus to 0.7m. The focus is accurate with my Black Summicron 50/2 at that range.