PDA

View Full Version : 90 summicron

tbarker13
02-06-2008, 16:16
So I've been thinking about shaking up my lens lineup to come up with the cash for a 28 summicron. As part of the movement, I'd be selling a 75 lux and getting the latest non-asph 90 summicron. (my research suggests they draw in a similar manner).
Just wondering if anyone has been pricing them lately. Saw one in mint condition at Kevin Cameras for around 850. But I've heard it said that his prices run a little high.

SolaresLarrave
02-06-2008, 16:24
850 for the latest pre-asph? Not terribly bad... If you want it, go for it, but be advised that his prices are, indeed, a bit steep (though he's a nice fellow). Also, keep in mind you still can get one of those (aka 3rd version, made in Canada) for a bit less.

Mine came from an eBay auction. I was willing to shell out $750, but ended up paying $678 or so.

So, keep shopping! :)

fbf
02-06-2008, 16:48
Kevin's camera? No offense or any opposition to the store, but the grading in Kevin's camera is NOT always accurate and they are a bit overpriced IMO. Similar to KEH, but keh has a far better grading system.

tbarker13
02-06-2008, 16:49
Starting to wonder if the returnabilty is something to consider. I want to be able to shoot it next to the 75 lux before I go any further down this all-too familiar path.
Of course, I guess if I find a good deal elsewhere, I could always sell it if decided I didn't like it.

Steve Bellayr
02-06-2008, 17:32
To throw a curve why not the latest pre-Asp tele-elmarit-M? Much smaller & lighter, only runs 5-600 and all you loose is one stop. Very sharp lens. How often do you shoot at f2.0? A good question to pose is at what f-stop do you shoot portraits as the 90mm is really a portrait lens.

tbarker13
02-06-2008, 17:56
Actually I shoot wide open probably 50 percent of the time, if not more. Don't own a flash, and I do a lot of documentary photography in places where the lighting can be pretty awful.

WoolenMammoth
02-06-2008, 19:01
I dont mean to derail your post, but you might consider the hexanon 90. I had been looking for a summicron 90 and came across a hex I couldnt pass up and am pretty floored with the lens. It of course is a 2.8, but I shoot almost entirely doc stuff, a ton of it at night, and I havent had too many problems shooting in cities with this lens. Its also incredibly small.

tbarker13
02-06-2008, 19:47
I appreciate the suggestions. But I've tried using a 90/2.8 and I just ran into too many situations where I needed more light. A lot of what I've been doing is indoors.
The other important aspect is the similarity of the 90 summicron to the 75 lux, which I love. In a perfect world, I'd keep the 75 and get a 28 summicron. Alas, the world is not perfect.