PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell's Prediction - Nikon RF

photogdave
02-02-2008, 10:47
He's at it again! Now he's saying manual focus is "silly"!
Copied and pasted from his site:

Confirmed: No new SDX or SFX digital rangefinder cameras in DX or FX-format, respectively. The S- in the model designations is an homage to Nikon's first cameras, the S-series rangefinders. These new digital rangefinder cameras are expected to use both F-mount and new, smaller S-EX mount lenses optimized for rangefinder use. By rangefinder I mean non-reflex; focus will be automatic, but removing the mirror box and prism and replacing it with a new instant-update live-view LCD allows great miniaturization with the same image quality as SLRs, along with TTL viewing and focus. The S-EX mount may or may not be compatible with the original rangefinder lens mount - no one knows. The good news is that these potential new S-series cameras ought to be innovative tools for working photographers who need improved portability, speed and silence, not silly things like the manual focus M8 or dead Epson digital rangefinder. Again, no word at all on these potential new Nikons were seen at the show.

I'd like to know where he got this info on these S-EX lenses etc. :rolleyes:

sjw617
02-02-2008, 10:54
From the quote above it looks like he called both manual fouus and an M8, silly.

Steve

pizzahut88
02-02-2008, 10:56
I also heard Contax is coming back with a full frame digital RF too.
These are due to be released before the end of this year.

Just kidding.

A prediction is after all a prediction.
Ken is not sitting on the board of directors at Nikon.

jbf
02-02-2008, 11:09
Where did he even get the info of there even being a Digital RF from nikon? I havnt heard any such news, etc.

NIKON KIU
02-02-2008, 11:29
Where did he even get the info of there even being a Digital RF from nikon? I havnt heard any such news, etc.
You missed it, read it here:
http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47119

This is OLD news!! :D

Kiu

Solinar
02-02-2008, 11:34
I take Ken Rockwell's recommendation with a big grain of salt. It's such a "silly thing," but he is really hooked on that D40 of his even though he has some much nicer gear.

VinceC
02-02-2008, 11:37
>>So I can buy a autofocus camera that I can watch what I want to take pictures of on a lcd screen? So its a basicly a Nikon P&S that I can change lenses on in other words, but they will market it as an RF?<<

My 7-year-old Canon powershot G1/2 cameras come very close to handling like digital RFs but miss the mark -- small viewfinder and, of course, tiny sensor.

A digital non-SLR, with SLR-sized sensor, small primes (that don't have to clear a mirror housing) and good viewfinder... that could be a compelling camera. If you abandon the SLR mirror but seek the SLR-sized sensor, you can make stunning small body and lenses. Done right, that could be an extremely winning package. With a good compact zoom, I can even see it unseating SLRs in the consumer marketplace ... the lenses could go far longer than manual-focus 135mm telephoto limit of RFs because the setup lends itself to autofocus. Get rid of the mirror, and you achieve the essence of RF photography in a modern camera.

If they do it, I just hope it has plenty of manual overrides.

kbg32
02-02-2008, 11:44
When I bought into the Contax G system, there was talk that there would eventually be a digital Contax G. As you know, it never happened.

rbsinto
02-02-2008, 12:08
Why anyone would get their knickers in a twist over anything this person Rockwell predicts is totally beyond me. Let him say anything he wants, it's just opinions and guesses, so why get upset? When you look back at all the incorrect predictions all the so-called experts have made over the years, you realize that they are just as full of crap as the rest of us. Maybe Nikon will bring out a toaster oven with a camera in it, or a lawnmower with a built-in popcorn maker. Or maybe they won't. First we'll see. And then we'll know. In the meantime we've got all that lovely SLR and rangefinder gear to shoot with, (or God help me, collect and worship) so let Mr. Rockwell prognosticate till his head caves in. Apparently that's what makes him happy.

photogdave
02-02-2008, 12:30
Why anyone would get their knickers in a twist over anything this person Rockwell predicts is totally beyond me. Let him say anything he wants, it's just opinions and guesses, so why get upset? When you look back at all the incorrect predictions all the so-called experts have made over the years, you realize that they are just as full of crap as the rest of us. Maybe Nikon will bring out a toaster oven with a camera in it, or a lawnmower with a built-in popcorn maker. Or maybe they won't. First we'll see. And then we'll know. In the meantime we've got all that lovely SLR and rangefinder gear to shoot with, (or God help me, collect and worship) so let Mr. Rockwell prognosticate till his head caves in. Apparently that's what makes him happy.
It doesn't sound like anyone is upset to me. I think we're all on the same page that Rockwell is just kind of amusing and harmless.

Brian Sweeney
02-02-2008, 16:31
It would be really easy to make an Auto-Focus Nikon RF. Just use the S-Mount. Put a Servo-Motor on the Internal Helical to drive the lens.

wgerrard
02-02-2008, 16:43
Just a few points:

1. If Nikon has decided Leica is making money on the M8, that might get them thinking about releasing a costly non-SLR thingie ( the thingie Rockwell calls a rangefinder).

2. There is no reason a small camera with interchangeable lenses must be a true rangefinder. If the viewfinder is big and bright and shows me what the lens sees, I don't care how it works.

3. Manual focus is not silly, neither is autofocus. It's just a choice. As someone with crummy eyes, I'm glad it's a choice.

Keith
02-02-2008, 16:55
Ken Rockwell is a bit of an enigma ... he's the 'Crocodile Hunter' of the photography world. People seem to either love him or hate him! :p

photogdave
02-02-2008, 17:22
Ken Rockwell is a bit of an enigma ... he's the 'Crocodile Hunter' of the photography world. People seem to either love him or hate him! :p
I think of him more as the Alby Mangels of photography! ;)

chikne
02-02-2008, 17:28
This new rangefinder will have a better resolution than my D300, but not as good as my D3, though considerably cheaper than my 1DM3 but slower than my Multi Pro, most importantly more portable than my F5 and maybe more fun compared to my 5d. Also it shouldn't have as much noise as my X-700, but it would be a no brainer compared to a 40D.

If I was you I would buy mine from here here here here here here or here....

Glenn2
02-02-2008, 17:40
A digital non-SLR, with SLR-sized sensor, small primes (that don't have to clear a mirror housing) and good viewfinder... that could be a compelling camera. If you abandon the SLR mirror but seek the SLR-sized sensor, you can make stunning small body and lenses. Done right, that could be an extremely winning package. With a good compact zoom, I can even see it unseating SLRs in the consumer marketplace ... the lenses could go far longer than manual-focus 135mm telephoto limit of RFs because the setup lends itself to autofocus. Get rid of the mirror, and you achieve the essence of RF photography in a modern camera.

If they do it, I just hope it has plenty of manual overrides.

If someone can do this they're going to sell a LOT of them.

I just hope they don't go with an electronic viewfinder that blacks out during exposure. I'd much rather have an optical finder, hopefully as good a a Leica.

Glenn

Jarle Aasland
02-02-2008, 23:23
I won't say much about this particular web site (not one of my favorites), but here's some info from the about page:

"While occasionally inspired by actual products or experiences, if you aren't a personal freind or lack a sense of humor or lack a decent BS detector, you're best off treating this site as a work of fiction. If you can't take a joke, please consider this entire site a joke, and any resemblance to any actual people, places, products or anything as purely coincidental."

Jarle

aizan
02-03-2008, 00:05
i like the sound of the new lens mount...