PDA

View Full Version : Enlighten me please

Joao
01-06-2008, 04:00
This may seem a dumb/naive question,but here it goes: Recently a small Jobo tank came to my hands;the plastic reel inside has a small red plastic removable part (photos). Question: What is this red part aimed at??
I have been using plastic reels without problem until now, so this is mosltly a matter of curiosity ...
Thank you in advance
Joao

MartinP
01-06-2008, 04:51
Oi Joao,

The red clip is intended to enable the loading of two 120 roll films on the same spiral. In theory, you load the first and keep going until it won't go any further - then you click the red clip in to place (all in the dark remember) then in goes the second film. The red clip 'should' serve as the endstop for the second film, to prevent them overlapping.

I have tried this a couple of times with test films in daylight and have not been able to get it to work. I got myself a Jobo tank secondhand, along with a De Vere enlarger which I was looking for for some time, so it is possible that the reel is not in perfect condition - but nevertheless I have continued to use the Paterson systems that I have been using for the last 26 years....

fidget
01-06-2008, 05:42
That's interesting. I dev rolls two by two on the same reel by using the tape to attach each to the other. A red gizmo might be what I need. I will look out for one.
Dave....

Jamie123
01-06-2008, 05:57
I use the red clip to load two rolls all the time without problems. If you load the first roll until it won't go any further and then push in the red clip, you don't really have to load the second roll until it gets stopped by the red clip. It's enough if you load it so the whole roll is in the reel. As far as I'm concerned the red clip is just a safety stop.

Joao
01-06-2008, 06:22
Thank you for the enlightening & swift answers. What you have posted makes sense - and now seems pretty obvious. I wil give it a try with a couple of sacrificial rolls, and I will use this feature in the future.
Many thanks
Joao

MartinP
01-06-2008, 06:26
Hmmmm, I was a bit worried that the idea was dreamed up in the marketing department and was, in practice, unworkable. Due to the reports of success here, I will soak-and-scrub the old reel and give it another go !