PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What is your favourite photography magazine?

Thea
07-27-2007, 13:21
What is your all time favourite photography magazine?

Which is the one that really stands out,the one always by your side or in your bag?

The one you rush to the newsagent to buy?

And why?

Thea

nikon_sam
07-27-2007, 13:32
I have two subscriptions that I will never allow to lapse...
B&W Magazine (Issues #1 - #53)...yes, that would be all of them...
View Camera

Magazines I have let go...
Outdoor Photographer
Photo Techniques
American Photo
Camera Arts
Pop Photo

Now the one I will rush out to get is Communication Arts Photography Annual...
I have them from 1995 to date...the newest issue should be out right now...

Graham Line
07-27-2007, 13:46
The only one I subscribe to is Amateur Photographer, which is really hard to find on US newsstands these days. And half the time, it doesn't get read before the next one turns up. But I like the recent changes.

kshapero
07-27-2007, 13:46
I am still a Shutterbug fan, but there are many others.

nikon_sam
07-27-2007, 13:53
I used to pick up Shutterbug years ago when it was the BIG magazine on the rack...I mostly was looking at the ads back then...half the mag is ads...
I picked up a used copy at the library a few months ago...nothing much has changed except it's size...

DavidH
07-27-2007, 14:37
Amateur Photographer - some reasonable articles from time to time - though a lot of dross these days - but good lens tests from their resident expert and handy ads for all sorts of things.

B&W Magazine - the UK version. Inspiring photography.

back alley
07-27-2007, 14:42
where's the poll?

gns
07-27-2007, 15:01
The only photography magazine I ever bought was Aperture, and I have not bought one of those for at least 15 years. I do buy a lot of books, though.

Gary

iml
07-27-2007, 15:01
I used to read Amateur Photographer most weeks, but it's got much worse in the last couple of months, so I don't bother any more.

I like B&W Photography (the UK magazine, not the US one with a similar name). The rest are a bit rubbish.

Ian

peterc
07-27-2007, 15:13
Black & White Photography (the British one) is the only photo mag I still buy.

Peter

zpuskas
07-27-2007, 15:46
B&W and LensWork. Black & white is still my favorite.

sepiareverb
07-27-2007, 15:54
Not currently getting any Photo Mags- I like 'Art on Paper' very much- a lot of photography in it, and great articles on all the papery arts.

With all the emphasis on digital gear I find most of the old ones have become more like computer magazines- Shutterbug comes to mind for sure.

Just ordered an issue of 'Leica World' to see what they're about.

Travis L.
07-27-2007, 16:09
JPG is the best new photo magazine out their in my opinion. All of the content is user submitted and voted on through their website.

Check it out
http://www.jpgmag.com

350D_user
07-27-2007, 16:21
"Black and White photography". It's one reason I tolerate a bus journey into town every month.
"Amateur Photographer" was good, until they changed the format (dumbed it down).

PlantedTao
07-27-2007, 16:39
Lenswork - like the articles, high quality photos and end commentary by Bill Jay. this is the only subscription I will continue.

eli griggs
07-27-2007, 16:40
I haven't read any of the newer photography magazines in years, but I still have all, I believe, of the 1980's Cameras Arts on my bookshelf, courtesy of a good friend years ago, who paid attention when I mentioned it was my favorite defunct magazine.

Frankly, all I ever saw else was Popular and Modern Photography and all the sales ads wore me down to the point that I don't bother to look at them unless the moon is extra blue and the doctor is running late.

Eli

nixarma
07-27-2007, 16:45
The only photography magazine that I buy is Lenswork.

[email protected]
07-27-2007, 17:05
The only photography magazine I buy and subscribe to is Lenswork.

sienarot
07-27-2007, 17:21
I'm finding i really enjoy Photolife Magazine here in Canada.

I also like B&W Magazine (the US version). Lenswork has some good stuff too.

wlewisiii
07-27-2007, 17:42
I buy regularly Lenswork, JPG, View Camera & Shutterbug.

William

dmr
07-27-2007, 18:35
I am still a Shutterbug fan, but there are many others.

I like Shutterbug too, even though it's been going {d-word} more and more.

I still buy Popular Photography. That's one of my "read on the plane" staples.

Lately I've enjoyed JPG Magazine.

The one I still miss is Modern Photography, the one I learned from. :)

gb hill
07-27-2007, 18:53
Shutterbug use to be my favorite til it went mostly digital. I have a Pop Photo sub that my wife got me but it mostly gets thumbed through. I like Rangefinder magazine. I like to read about other photographers and what they are doing to suceed in the business. Focus & B&W the U.S. version are good.

Rico
07-27-2007, 18:57
The original Camera Arts

nikon_sam
07-27-2007, 19:47
Shutterbug use to be my favorite til it went mostly digital. I have a Pop Photo sub that my wife got me but it mostly gets thumbed through. I like Rangefinder magazine. I like to read about other photographers and what they are doing to suceed in the business. Focus & B&W the U.S. version are good.

Forgot about Rangefinder...but it's free...
Lots of neat shots and ideas in there...

Mikael.N
08-13-2007, 14:57
B&W uk magazine i like there printing articles.And not so much digital sidetracks

.JL.
08-13-2007, 15:00
B&W and Lenswork.

Sometimes I read Focus and PDN. They're like newspaper about the current fine art and commercial photography market, respectively.

Thea
08-13-2007, 15:03
I subscribe to Aperture, however I am not going to continue my sub next year, as they take so long to reach me here in the UK, (last issue over 3 months!!) That the new one is out before I have got the previous one!
I thought I would subscribe to Lensworks instead.....They use airmail!

bobkonos
08-13-2007, 15:05
I haven't read any of the newer photography magazines in years, but I still have all, I believe, of the 1980's Cameras Arts on my bookshelf, courtesy of a good friend years ago, who paid attention when I mentioned it was my favorite defunct magazine.
Eli

Thanks for the memories. Oh how I wish I had my copies of Camera Arts. I subscribed back then and wish I had kept them. Great magazine.

I regularly look at and occasionally purchase Blindspot, Leica World, Leica Fotographie International, ZOOM, and Aperture. I receive the LHSA and NHS Journals since I am a member of both. I am trying to find all of the now-defunct Japanese magazine "LEICA." By the way, I love magazines.

bsdunek
08-13-2007, 15:11
Photo Life from Canada. I've been getting it for nearly two years now, and still like it.
I do get Pop Photo, it's gotten better lately, but still below what I think it should be.
I don't look at the ads much, as I'm mostly a film guy and nearly everything is geared to digital. :cool:

popstar
08-13-2007, 15:36
I subscribe only to Lenswork, though I've been considering adding a subscription to JPG as well. For a magazine with all user-defined content it is done really well.

Pablito
08-13-2007, 18:14
DoubleTake used to be interesting, though they seem to be in limbo now...

rogue_designer
08-13-2007, 18:14
PDN is my favorite. Better business centered content I think.

Gabriel M.A.
08-13-2007, 19:31
where's the poll?
Nobody's answered "Playboy" yet, so I must assume it's a trick poll ;)

In fairness, the articles, I've been told, are quite interesting.

Seriously, though, B&W magazine; although there are some issues that disappoint me at times, and others that wow me.

meeker
08-13-2007, 19:47
I subscribe to JPG (great VFM IMO and I think you can read it for free in digital format). I used to get Aperture, but let my subscription expire.

Rayt
08-13-2007, 20:04
I like LFI despite being a Leica AG marketing tool it has really good photos and helpful info.

pvdhaar
08-13-2007, 22:01
I read the UK B&W magazine for about two years, and they were a very good read. But at some point they started to recycle stuff they'd done two years back, that's when I gave up on them.

thmk
08-14-2007, 00:53
I had a subscription for Lenswork in the past two years but did not renew it because of costs. The only mag I still buy is the LFI.

Kent
08-14-2007, 01:10
Hi!

Great thread. Thanks.

I only have easy acces to German magazines, so this is my ranking:

1. "Foto Magazin"
2. "Photo Deal"
3. "ColorFoto"
Then "Photographie", "ProfiFoto" and "Photo Technik International".

But I read my first copy of LFI ("Leica Fotografie International"). This is a great magainze and it will not be the last copy I've bought!
I would rank it very close to my fav. Perhaps it will become my No.1 mag.

The only English magazine I can easily get is "Practical Photography" which is not bad but not amazing either.

As far as online magazines are concerned, I like "2point8".

Thea
08-14-2007, 01:34
I have heard of JPG, what sort of magazine is it?

Re Aperture, I have to pay double subscription to have it delivered over to the UK, AND they still take 3 months. You can buy it from Photographer's Gallery in London, so thought I would swallow the extra cost and just buy the issues I really want from there.

If anyone is interested in more "academic" fine art type of magazine I can highly recommend Hotshoe,
www.hotshoeinternational.com (http://www.hotshoeinternational.com).
its reasonably priced, 4.50 an issue, and whats more its SMALL enough to carry about!
Thea

Nachkebia
08-14-2007, 02:54
I like PDN :)

IGMeanwell
08-14-2007, 04:15
I love JPG http://jpgmag.com

I also read, American Photo and PDN

Aperture is great but its hard to find around these parts and I really don't need another magazine subscription ;)

picturetaker
08-14-2007, 05:04
Faithfully I read
Focus
Black and White - both the British and American
Lenswork - subscription
Emulsion - subscription

anandi
08-14-2007, 05:24
Photolife
Rangefinder (mainly because it's free and has at least 1 article an issue that I find useful)
National Geographic (sort of like Playboy, but I read it for the pictures :) )

Al Patterson
08-14-2007, 05:53
I get Shutterbug for the Ads. Popular Photography I buy for airplane or Amtrak trip reading material. But I tend to like Outdoor Photographer the best for the articles.

It does appear I'm not as artsy as the rest of the folks here. I'll have to wander over to Borders and check out the vrious Black & White mags and check them out.

shadowfox
08-14-2007, 07:58
On the "I can't believe what I saw"-department, in the latest edition of "Outdoor Photographer", Editor Rob Sheppard mentioned that (my paraphrase, which is not far from what's actually written):

The latest digital point and shoot can produce prints that rivals those from 8x10 cameras.

It's a one way street with these guys... (shaking head).

pesphoto
08-14-2007, 08:07
Lenswork and SHots MAgazine

Ara Ghajanian
08-14-2007, 08:37
I grew up on National Geographic. I used to love American Photo back in the 90's. I don't like any photo magazines right now. I read this forum... that's about it.

Hlynur
08-14-2007, 08:56
I don't like photo magazines that are almost entirely about latest cameras and equipment and not about photography.

I like these magazines because they are more about photography then gear:
B&W Magazine
GUP (dutch magazine, but both in english and dutch lanuage). GUP (http://www.gupmagazine.com/)
foto8 (http://www.foto8.com/index1.html) that focuses on photojournalism
JPG Magazine (I've downloaded few issues and I like it.)

Regards,

Hlynur
Reykjavik, Iceland

Steve Litt
08-14-2007, 09:11
British, Black and White Photography is the only one I subscribe to.Recently I got issue 2 of Photo Icon and found it interesting with good quality paper and printing but B/W is the only mag I have got from issue one and continue to enjoy.Next month brings a new editor as Ailsa McWhinnie is moving on.So I hope my opinion stays the same.Couldn't find anywhere to vote in this poll.Is there one?
Regards
Steve

fidget
08-14-2007, 09:24
I subscribe to B&W Photography here in the UK, but if I had to vote and I could get away with it, I would go for National Geographic.

Dave

ddunn
08-14-2007, 09:30
I subscribe to Amateur Photography, but don't plan to renew. The recent makeover dumbed it down and cutting Ivor Mantele to 2 pages is a sin.

I usually buy Black & White (British), Practical Photography, and Photography Monthly each month, and Shutterbug every 3-4 months (just to keep up with current US prices).

When I think of the magazines that were around when I was getting started, and compare them to what's available today, it gets depressing. Popular Photography is still around, but nothing like it was when Bob Schwalberg was a writer and editor. Among the missing: Modern Photography, US Camera, and Camera 35.

mhv
08-14-2007, 10:06
Prefix, Blind Spot, Aperture, and sometimes Lenswork (depending on what's inside).

Kent
08-14-2007, 10:48
Since some you mention National Gepgraphic. I did not consider this to be a photomag, but when it counts... I subscribe to it.

danwilly
08-14-2007, 11:28
I prefer the UK verson of B&W and I can find it at Barnes & Noble here in the U.S. I like their equipment reviews and darkroom tips.

350D_user
08-14-2007, 14:56
"Black and White magazine", followed by "Picture Post" (I know... it's not produced anymore).

santino
08-14-2007, 15:10
that would be "LFI" - Leica Photography International but I don't subscribe it and I'm kinda sick of that M8 talk over and over.

sepiareverb
08-14-2007, 16:21
Leica World seems pretty good- got a copy of LFI as well, also pretty good. More digital than I'd like, but that's about everywhere now. Good images in both of these, and that's what I mostly like to see.

Thea
08-16-2007, 10:18
Santino Have a look at the Classifieds if you want some back issues......