PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

jairy hunter
06-19-2007, 14:16
Shot my first roll with my "new" Zorki 4 (at least the first with the benefit of handheld lightmeter) and Jupiter 8....

After photoshopping, got a few good shots, but there were a couple like this; I'm thinking the aperture ring was between settings? It's not very tight and a couple times I noticed it had moved from its intended setting.....didn't bother ps'ing this one....

http://homepage.mac.com/drjman/.Pictures/zorki!/974455-R1-11-13A.jpg

Xmas
06-19-2007, 14:20
The shutter seems to have a problem on the left hand side you should be able to see this with the lens removed, have you a return option?

Noel

bmattock
06-19-2007, 14:22
Shutter taper. Easy fix by a camera repair person. Try different shutter speeds, I'll bet one speed does this worse than others. Some speeds won't show the problem at all.

Sometimes you can 'see' it by opening the back of the camera, remove the lens, hold the camera up to a light source (not too bright to hurt your eye), and press the shutter. If you see a darker side (the right in this case), then that's it. Try different speeds. Sometimes shutter taper will get better and then get worse again. It sucks, but it can be fixed.

bmattock
06-19-2007, 14:24
The shutter seems to have a problem on the left hand side l

Right-hand side. It's reversed in the neg because in the camera, it is being burned upside down and backwards onto the film. If we had a ground-glass back, that's how we'd see it. So damage to the left - is really on the right.

jairy hunter
06-19-2007, 18:13
Thanks so much!

It's probably around 1/125s unfortunately....that would seem to be an issue.

I'm thinking of just trying to figure that out and just avoiding that speed cause ther rest of the shots look pretty good--I mean I only paid about $15 + shipping for the camera and another $20 or so for the lens, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Here's another shot, this time pretty good after running it through CS3.

http://homepage.mac.com/drjman/.Pictures/zorki!/974455-R1-08-16A.jpg