PDA

View Full Version : KEH - disappointing lately

ray_g
04-12-2007, 06:11
I have bought a number of lenses from them in the past, and like many, have been very happy with their service, and with their very conservative rating scale.

Over the past few months, the last two lenses I got were disappointing.

One was a 135/4 tele-elmar. The lens was nice, but the focus cam did not move when you turned the focus ring.

More recently, a 50/1.4 Nikkor LTM. The focus ring will not move closer than 3.5 feet.

Now I would not mind if these were little things that I may have been over-critical about, or small things that may have been missed. But these lenses were non-functional. They are not even good enough to be rated KEH "ugly."

Of course, they were returned, but counting shipping and insurance both ways, that's at least $25 per lens. Thankfully, I am not overseas.

It seems that their quality control has been severely lacking lately.

That was a rant, and also a caution to everyone else to check more closely.

Silvio
04-12-2007, 07:03
I purchased seven lenses from them in LN or LN- condition and found out that only two were in good working condition but none of them even close to their description.
When I asked what's their criteria for rating the answer was "mainly cosmetics". So you can get a perfect lemon but in a nice, rarely used body.
And their prices for LN- is very close to brand new ones, so I ended up sending five back and buying them new.

I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND KEH OR B&H TO ANYBODY LATELY.

Unless you like to play lottery and loose time to the post office or UPS location.

Rafael
04-12-2007, 07:28
Well, that's a concern. I have a lens on the way from KEH right now. My past experiences with them have all been very positive. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed...

jaffa_777
04-12-2007, 07:45
I have had only good experinces with KEH. I will go to them first for second hand gear before I go to anyone else, and then it's evil bay as a last resort. Yes they are more expensive than most, but I don't mind paying a bit more knowing that my parcel will turn up ontime and quickly and that I can return it for any reason. I buy my camera gear with the intent to keep it for life and all the stuff I have received from them was in way better cond than I had expected.

I have a "exc" rated Mamiya 6 body on the way from them, and if the cond is like the previous gear I have received I should be very happy.

erudolph
04-12-2007, 08:08
I became disappointed with KEH a number of years ago when I bought a Mamiya 6 body in EXC condition. It was poorly packed and arrived with a cracked rangefinder window. I exchanged it for another EXC body and this one had a very large and deep scratch on the front of the body. The scratch was not mentioned in the description. My thought was that both these problems were related to their shipping department. I have not shopped with them since.

Ed

foto_fool
04-12-2007, 08:16
Well, that's a concern. I have a lens on the way from KEH right now. My past experiences with them have all been very positive. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed...

I second this. Will follow up when lens ordered yesterday arrives. Meanwhile I guess I will just eat a few antacids.

- John

jaffa_777
04-12-2007, 08:19
hmm, well I hope my Mamiya 6 body is as described when it arrives, otherwise it will be going back, no questions asked.

Bill58
04-12-2007, 08:24
No way I'd ever buy anything used from them again. They will only use Fed EX, UPS, etc. and the shipping fees (to Korea) are outa' sight. Shipping by private carrier also has a 100% chance of going thru local customs and getting a 20% import tax.

Outside- the- USA buyers beware!

RayPA
04-12-2007, 08:25
I've had success with lenses. The one camera body I bought, an M5 (WHAT was I thinking?), arrived with several issues. I returned it and they were very accommodating. My most recent purchase (about two months ago) was a Nikon 85/2 AI-S. It was as described, so I was pleased.

yankeedoll
04-12-2007, 08:27
G'man had a really bad experience with KEH. I can't post what his opinion is. :)

They sent him a LN Pentax DS. The lens release was disconnected.
Lucky he is good at fixing things.

nightfly
04-12-2007, 08:36
I've purchased numerous "bargain" condition cameras from them and they've always been in almost mint condition for a very reasonable price and were shipped promptly and carefully packed.

I'm sorry others have had problems but I think they are a really great operation and I would buy from them again. I just picked up a Contax t2 from them and will be developing my first roll from it today. Functions perfectly from what I can tell.

Like anything else on the web, the people who have problems complain loudly while the vast majority of satisfied customers don't really feel the need to say anything so you get a somewhat unbalanced view of any sort of product or service (although I always do a lot of web research before purchases, I try and keep this in mind).

Often I find stuff on KEH that is cheaper than they end up going for on Ebay after the feeding frenzy.

BillBingham2
04-12-2007, 08:46
What I remember from other posts is that the best way to get something from KEH is to call and get it set aside until you can speak with a sales person who has it in his/her hand on the phone. Ask 10,000 questions and the odds are you will get what you are paying for.

I think the days of ordering blindly from them are over, way over.

B2 (;->

ferider
04-12-2007, 08:58
My experience was on and off with KEH. Typically, if there is a problem with a lens
that is not immediately visible, they don't catch it. For instance a Zuiko lens
that didn't completly focus to infinity.

I keep using them because they make return real easy.

Roland.

tedwhite
04-12-2007, 09:02
I bought a BGN Super Takumar 35/3.5 from KEH for twenty bucks. I don't understand their rating system as this was in LN condition and turned out to be one of the best and sharpest lenses in my M42 stable. Just wish it was faster than 3.5.

JeffM
04-12-2007, 09:09
If there is one thing you can't fault KEH for it's their return policy. I've definitely gotten stuff from them that has been not up to snuff... but I agree with what Roland said. I ordered a Contax G lens from them, listed as excellent, but it had some of the gold contacts chipped off and didn't operate properly. They exchanged it instantly and with the same model lens, no hassle as usual. It's rare to have that kind of luxury with used equipment in general. Whatever you get, just make sure to test it throughly within the 14 day grace period, you should be okay... if you don't want it, you'll have to bite the bullet with shipping, but otherwise they'll refund entirely. Despite any disappointments, I still go to KEH before ebay.

HAnkg
04-12-2007, 09:16
I purchased a lens recently and found it was different then the photo that appeared. When I called they explained that with the huge volume of product they move they don't have time anymore to take pictures so that image was not meant to represent the actual item. Seems like you should call and have a salesperson look at the product you want to purchase, so he can verify condition and function.

Berliner
04-12-2007, 11:15
I too have noticed a lapse in the QC at KEH. The last two items I ordered were returned (a first) because they were definitely not as described--, and not functional. They were EX+, and LN-. This has never been an issue until about a year ago--usually what you got was much better than described. I think calling and talking to someone is a safer bet with KEH these days...

smeitner300
04-12-2007, 12:00
My experience:

I recently purchased a camera body in EX+ condition. When I received it, the thing wouldn't even turn on! The switch was broken and rattled around inside. The camera also was missing the eyepiece and LCD protector. This was my first time dealing with KEH, and with their reputation, I allowed them to make it right.
I needed the body for a photoshoot I had planned, and couldn't wait to ship the defective body to them, and have them ship an exchange to me. I ended up purchasing a 2nd body and waited for them to reimburse me. I talked with a sales rep. I specifically told him the body was for a photoshoot, and to be sure to check the 2nd body for problems before it was sent. He agreed to do so.
So guess what? Yup, the 2nd body was defective as well! Obviously not checked. The autofocus made terrible sounds and wouldn't lock on. I tried to fumble through the shoot with it. I ended up using it on manual focus after the model asked "Is there something wrong with your camera?" That's a humbling comment.
So I called them back after the shoot. I was politely told, "Well sir, you are buying used equipment." I replied, "Yes, but used does not mean defective." I fianlly agreed to give them one last chance.
The 3rd camera did work fine. It still was missing the eyepiece and LCD protector though. After a week, I noticed my account was not credited for the 2nd camera (though I know they received it by UPS tracking). I called back and had to talk to 4 people before I found out what happened. They lost it. I don't care how big your company is, that's not my fault. I was told by the sales manager, "Well, you didn't put RETURN DEFECTIVE on the box." He made it out to be my fault that they lost it.
It is almost a month now, and I'm still trying to get things straight. All this to buy a simple camera body. Never again...

xayraa33
04-12-2007, 12:46
by reading these posts, KEH seems to be getting as reliable as that auction site in buying good working gear.

Matthew Runkel
04-12-2007, 13:29
counting shipping and insurance both ways, that's at least $25 per lens.
Truly? That seems extraordinarily high. What shipping method was this?

35mmdelux
04-12-2007, 15:36
I bought a lens from them called Bargain, but to my eye it looked pretty beat, maybe not Ugly but certainly no Bargain. simply not acceptable. For $25 less I picked one off evilbay which was mint. Returned the KEH without any problem. I was alittle disappointed but would do biz again for harder to find item.

I've heard of others receiving dirty or busted cameras.

Pablito
04-12-2007, 17:17
This is a wake up call. I have never bought from them but I have recommended them to others, mainly based on the positive things I've read here!

enochRoot
04-12-2007, 17:34
i've tried them twice based on glowing reviews here. i returned the items both times, as they were not as described. i did try to have the salesman check the item for me, and they said they could not. i should have known better at that point. i'll never try to use them again.

bellyface
04-12-2007, 17:39
I've been using KEH for many years, and have had no complaints to this day. But then again, I've had issues with adorama, and many people don't...

ChrisPlatt
04-12-2007, 18:58
I've purchased quite a few Pentax SLR lenses from KEH, always in bargain condition.
Every one has far exceeded my expectations! :)

Chris

Bingley
04-12-2007, 19:14
Well, it certainly seems like the experience has been uneven of late. I bought a Canon 7 body from them last summer, rated Ex, and when it arrived there was oil on one of the shutter curtains so it wouldn't close completely. I returned the item (w/ photos illustrating the effects of the problem), and they promptly sent me a complete replacement 7 in Ex condition that has worked flawlessly.

I JUST bought a 45 mm lens from them, again rated Ex, and it arrived looking in as-advertised shape (will shoot some film w/ it this weekend to be sure). So far so good there.

Still, caveat emptor!

nasmformyzombie
04-12-2007, 19:47
I've had generally good experiences with KEH, about 80-85% of the time. My last purchase was a Canon 50mm f1.2 RF lens in excellent condition that is just superb, and an M6 in bargain condition that was pretty beat up, slow speeds were off, I returned it.

ray_g
04-12-2007, 20:03
Truly? That seems extraordinarily high. What shipping method was this?

KEH uses UPS. The lowest rate is $12.95. Depending on the value of the item you bought, you will need to add the corresponding insurance. For the $310 Nikkor, that was around $3.50. I shipped it back by priority mail, insured, for not much less.

scottgee1
04-12-2007, 20:42
KEH uses UPS. The lowest rate is $12.95. Depending on the value of the item you bought, you will need to add the corresponding insurance. For the $310 Nikkor, that was around $3.50. I shipped it back by priority mail, insured, for not much less.

For those still willing to deal with them . . . they have an unpublished shipping rate for small stuff that costs <$50. Shipping in the U.S. is $6.95 but you have to ask for it. I talked with a salesperson about it and we agreed that is was silly to not publish the fact in that it forces a salesperson to get involved in very small transactions.

BTW, IMO, USPS is overpriced for anything that has to be shipped insured in a box. The insurance rates border on absurd. I've found FedEx Ground to be the most reasonable overall and prepare all my shipments on-line.

YMMV/ScottGee1

Athena
04-12-2007, 20:53
I first learned of KEH from this site and my purchases from them have been well-handled with delivery of working gear at least as good as expected.

However, I do not by UGLY or BGN stuff and try for at least EX-.

As to why some folks seem to need to use every thread of this kind here to rag on eBay (e.g. evilbay, "that site" etc.) - it is simply an exchange market. So what is the problem?

It's like whining about the classifieds section in your local newspaper!

If you want new - buy retail.

dostacos
04-12-2007, 21:07
I first learned of KEH from this site and my purchases from them have been well-handled with delivery of working gear at least as good as expected.

However, I do not by UGLY or BGN stuff and try for at least EX-.

As to why some folks seem to need to use every thread of this kind here to rag on eBay (e.g. evilbay, "that site" etc.) - it is simply an exchange market. So what is the problem?

It's like whining about the classifieds section in your local newspaper!

If you want new - buy retail.I for one, refer to it as evilbay not because of the transactions, but it's feeding of my GAS:D

ywenz
04-13-2007, 12:37
Why would anyone buy form a vendor that doesn't provide an image or detailed description specific to the used item you are purchasing? Take them for their good word? wow... I hear KEH being throw around at these analogue forums like it was the best thing next to sliced bread.. guess not eh?

dreilly
04-13-2007, 13:12
So far, for me, so good. I've returned stuff and it was never a problem; they were always bargain items and rated fairly. I just bought a Bargain Canon New F-1 that's in gorgeous condition and works great...it was bargain for a nasty dig around the tripod socket, that was pretty much it. I just ordered three FD lenses, two rated UGLY and one BGN, we'll see!

Perhaps they are slipping but the return policy is still great, and I wholly second the person who suggested a call to have it put aside and examined. Worth the wait, especially on bigger-ticket items.

scottgee1
04-13-2007, 14:52
Why would anyone buy form a vendor that doesn't provide an image or detailed description specific to the used item you are purchasing? Take them for their good word? wow... I hear KEH being throw around at these analogue forums like it was the best thing next to sliced bread.. guess not eh?

To be fair, KEH is the largest dealer of used camera equipment in the world. Their inventory borders on stupefying. If you buy a Leica M6 rated "EX" and check the Web inventory the next day, you'll wonder why they haven't updated it yet. Turns out they have fifteen "EX" M6 bodies and you bought only one of them.

Given that their grading system is pretty much the standard for the industry, the descriptions are usually accurate so people know what to expect.

The feedback I've read here and on other forums leads me to believe they're no longer doing thorough functional checks when they purchase gear and that leads to a higher percentage of problems shipped to customers.

I'm already on record as being concerned about their financial health. They have a LOT of film based equipment that is doing nothing but depreciating both in value and, of course, salability. They've cleared out a lot of the cheaper stuff by lowering prices but as the market for film gear dwindles, their situation will worsen. I note that they've added laptops to their product mix. Maybe those will be profitable enough to keep them afloat.

If they do go under I wonder what will happen to all of that stuff? There isn't another dealer on Earth big enough to buy them out. Well, if they did, they would automatically become the largest.

Strange days . . .

ScottGee1

dreilly
04-13-2007, 18:48
Just to respond to the point a few posts up, evilbay (at least, I think) is commonly called that because of GAS-related issues and its addictive, meth-like qualities on us. I love ebay, have bought many, many things there and the only thing that wasn't good was a backpack that costs $13, and that's well over 100 deals. You just have to be aware of who you're dealing with, and use caution. But it is a fantastic market-place, far as I'm concerned. And it's definitely EVIL!

tedwhite
04-13-2007, 18:54
On the upside, KEH really do have a virtual lock on film related used equipment, and as long as people buy the stuff they'll probably stay in business - for how long is anyone's guess.

I have read here and elsewhere that there seems to be an unexpected interest in film photography, and a lot of this is generated by college and university photography programs. I taught in one of these programs until recently, and was impressed by the number of students we had to turn away from enrolling because the classes filled up almost immediately the opening day of registration.

Students seem to see using a film camera and developing your own film and making your own enlargements as a sort of esoteric art and "way cool."

The other day I was in crowded Peddler's Alley and a man asked, in a rather loud voice as he pointed at my Bessa R, "Is that a digital camera?"

"No," I replied, "It's a film camera. I'm a photographer." Everyone within earshot brust out laughing. A woman said, "Yeah, there is a difference."

Made my day, as it were.

Rafael
04-16-2007, 11:37
The lens that was in the mail to me from KEH arrived today (Nikkor AF-S 17-35/2.8). It was rated in "Bargain" condition on account of some minor dust trapped inside. The dust is minor and does not affect image quality in the least (to my eye anyway). And otherwise, the lens is in very good condition and seems to operate very smoothly. The price was excellent. So KEH's record with me remains unblemished.

scottgee1
04-16-2007, 11:58
Marc, that's good to hear.

Thanks for following up! :cool:

ScottGee1

NL2377
04-16-2007, 13:23
I've still never had a problem with KEH, and always found that the gear that I have bought from them to have been very reliable and up to par. I have bought Items from members here on RFF that were described as better then they were, but I've never been dis-satisfied with KEH.

nightfly
04-16-2007, 13:35
Just as a follow up, the last item I bought from KEH, a Contax T2, didn't end up meeting my expectations. I don't know if the focus was off or if it just wasn't focusing on what I expected to, but for my style of shooting, it didn't work.

I just returned it, no questions asked.

steve garza
04-16-2007, 13:57
I purchased seven lenses from them in LN or LN- condition and found out that only two were in good working condition but none of them even close to their description.
When I asked what's their criteria for rating the answer was "mainly cosmetics". So you can get a perfect lemon but in a nice, rarely used body.
And their prices for LN- is very close to brand new ones, so I ended up sending five back and buying them new.

I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND KEH OR B&H TO ANYBODY LATELY.

Unless you like to play lottery and loose time to the post office or UPS location.

I've returned items I didn't want after all for full refund and there was no re-stocking fee. Postage is the chance you take when ordering out of your locale.

jaffa_777
04-19-2007, 02:48
Just following up as well.

My exc rated mamiya 6 just arrived today. I would say cosmetically it rates between exc+ and like new. I will put a roll of film through it to make sure all is ok, but to me this camera feels great. Meter works, winder feels nice and smooth and the bellows feel stiff like they are alot newer than on my other mamiya 6.

scottgee1
04-19-2007, 03:52
Andrew, thanks for your detailed posting. Always nice to hear good (and current!) news!

ScottGee1

jkelly
06-07-2007, 21:21
I've had a very disappointing recent experience with KEH. I ordered a collapsible Summicron from them about 3 weeks ago that I have never received. About a week after my order I began emailing them but received no reply. Then, I received an email from another KEH customer who had received my lens by mistake. No harm done if KEH would have promptly had the lens picked up and sent to me. However, neither the customer who received my lens nor I have had any success in getting KEH to follow through. We've both had numerous conversations with Ken at KEH, who promised to take care of it but never did. Finally a couple of days ago we decided to just handle the shipping cost between ourselves and I should receive the lens tomorrow. At this point, dealing with KEH has been so frustrating that I don't think I'll even bother trying again to contact them to get reimbursement for the excess postage.

This is my initial transaction with KEH. I decided to give them a try based on recommendations here and elsewhere, but I have to say I'm not pleased so far.

RayPA
06-07-2007, 21:29
I picked up a Nikon AI 50/1.2 from them about three weeks ago. Everything went very well. I got the lens earlier than I expected and the condition was as advertised.

:)

maddoc
06-07-2007, 21:56
I bought 50mm Rigid Summicron (BGN) from KEH and received a lens with stiff and squiking focus ring. Returned the lens and received a second copy of the Summicron, this time with a slightly wobble in the lens barrel. Due to the return I payed now three times for the postage, first time receiving, sending back, receiving the second copy. The lens is sharp but I guess that I will sent it for CLA to somebody. This was my first purchase from KEH ...

skhan
06-07-2007, 21:57
Guys, do communicate with them. I have had some problems twice, I called them, told them that the problem was not described, and they replaced it -- they fedex'd the item for free, and on top of that, they paid me $10 for return shipping! (I'm in Canada, which means they gave me a total of $35+$10, each time). One of the problems was just slight mis-alignment of an Hexar RF rangefinder (which could have easily happened during shipping!).

So, once again, if it is supposed to work (and be scratch free , etc.), but not, then they will pay the shipping both ways -- just make sure you tell them to do so. However, I'm not sure whether it applies to cosmetic condition (paint loss etc.).

richard_l
06-07-2007, 22:08
I recently bought a IIf from KEH. They shipped it quickly, and it was in better condition than its rating would indicate. I.e., KEH seems as good as ever.

Richard

maddoc
06-07-2007, 22:23
Well ... about returning the item. I payed for returing the first lens and received a invoice from FedEx Japan that I have to pay for receiving the second copy from KEH. Summicron 50 in BGN condition with postage 470 USD, sending back 20 USD, receiving second copy 20 USD, totally 510 USD for a lens with wobbling barrel. I don't care about scratches on the barrel (that's why I bought a BGN lens in this case) but I care about the mechanical condition of the lens. About communication with them, if I would call them by phone from Japan, I would have to pay a lot of money additionally....

I bought my M4-P from map-camera in Tokyo, from the internet without seeing it, described as bargain and received a like-new camera, shipping was included in the price...

Tigersight
06-07-2007, 22:47
i've been extremely happy with KEH, very UNhappy with Adorama and will never deal with them again. I bought a lens from KEH recently that was billed as "EX" and I got what looked like a brand new lens! I was astonished.

JimG
06-07-2007, 23:19
When I complained to KEH that they sent me a TTL M6 instead of the 'Classic' M6 I ordered they send me a Classic M6 by overnight mail and when they got back there TTL they credited my acct. for the cost of returning their TTL. Last week I got a used (but never used) LeicaTime 1/2 case and strap for $50. Tonight I got several original leather Canon lens cases for $4 each. I can't complain. Jim

richiedcruz
06-07-2007, 23:47
I recently bought a Canon 50 1.8 LTM from KEH. It was listed as a bargain. When I got it, I was surprised to see that it looked practically mint to me. The same thing happened with a Canon IVSB I bought earlier this year.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Canon 25mm finder decribed as being in ugly condition. I expected the worst, but I was not going to buy another VC finder, after having my current one come apart on me. It does have a crack in the glass, but is otherwise excellent-no fungus etc. It is a lot more usuable than I would have expected for something that had their lowest rating.

Richie

Doug
06-08-2007, 23:58
KEH had some Pentax 645 film inserts at great price, so I ordered a couple of 120 and a couple of 220. One of the 220 inserts was defective, so I arranged to send it back. In the meantime the price had dropped from $29 to $25 for these, so I got the replacement for $25 and received $29 credit on the returned one. They've always given me excellent product and service.

Creagerj
06-09-2007, 00:14
KEH has one main problem...THEY USE STOCK PHOTOS! It drives me nuts. I know it is time consuming to take picture of everything in what is probably a large warehouse, but still it would be nice. I Don't trust their rating system either, I would rather see specific descriptions. They could at least do what ritzcam.com does.

landsknechte
06-09-2007, 01:56
I recently ordered a Leica IIIc and Elmar 50/3.5, both in BGN. A little bit of wear on the finish of the lens, and some brassing on the top of the camera. Good shape for a 61 year old camera and a 70 year old lens, and they work just fine. Most dealers would have rated them significantly higher, and all around I can't find any fault with the transaction.

I'd love a photo of the item. Serial numbers would be nice, as would even a brief description of what earned a low grade.

akptc
06-21-2007, 13:43
I just received the wrong lens from KEH, again. This is the third time they shipped me the wrong lens. When am I going to listen to my own advice and stop buying from these @#$%^&* (edited by me)...

RayPA
06-21-2007, 14:01
Wow. I better find some wood to knock on. I've been having great results with KEH. I just bought and received a Nikon 85/1.4. It arrived on time in great condition (as advertised), and this is probably the 3rd or 4th such transaction I've had with them over that last 4 months. Now if you want to talk eBay deals gone awry, I can easily oblige.

:)

akptc
06-21-2007, 14:11
I am just frustrated, that's all. I am sure they have thousands of customers who havenever had a transaction go bad. But it sucks to be the designated bad-luck-customer, which I think I am with KEH.

meat tooth paste
06-21-2007, 14:23
seems like KEH is not what they once were. the used camera biz has changed dramatically over the past 5 years. not much money to be made in it anymore.

CorreCaminos
06-21-2007, 14:41
My experience with KEH has been outstanding and while there have been problems they've taken care of everything so far, shipping replacement items at their cost every single time.

I buy Ex+ and LN items and while the Hasselblad items have always been in mint condition the Leica items, while showing little use, have had a number of problems: the M6TTL I ordered about 4 weeks ago had a problem with the lens release not latching the lens in place and the 50mm f2.8 Elmar lens I received Monday had a damaged locking tab on the collapsible lens shaft. The M6TTL I exchanged for a mint M4 and I returned the 50 Elmar for a refund.

KEH's sales staff is top-notch, knowledgeable and very helpful. Prices are a little high but, given the excellent return policy, I'm willing to pay them.

My only gripe with KEH is that I can't get descriptions or photographs of the actual items and for this reason I sometimes choose not to buy something.

dostacos
06-21-2007, 21:28
well my first purchase was a nikonos 35MM lens, "bargain" much better than that

RayPA
06-21-2007, 21:45
My experience with KEH has been outstanding and while there have been problems they've taken care of everything so far, shipping replacement items at their cost every single time.

I buy Ex+ and LN items and while the Hasselblad items have always been in mint condition the Leica items, while showing little use, have had a number of problems: the M6TTL I ordered about 4 weeks ago had a problem with the lens release not latching the lens in place and the 50mm f2.8 Elmar lens I received Monday had a damaged locking tab on the collapsible lens shaft. The M6TTL I exchanged for a mint M4 and I returned the 50 Elmar for a refund.

KEH's sales staff is top-notch, knowledgeable and very helpful. Prices are a little high but, given the excellent return policy, I'm willing to pay them.

My only gripe with KEH is that I can't get descriptions or photographs of the actual items and for this reason I sometimes choose not to buy something.

that's funny the ONLY item I've ever had an issue with was a Leica M5 (what was I thinking anyway! ;) ), which I returned and they refunded.

dannynono
06-21-2007, 22:04
I've never used KEH, but I'm still tempted given the hit-n-miss 'deals' (Mint = a very lightly fogged lens?) I've had from e*** - at least KEH has a non-hassle refund policy.

Without doubt, my best purchases have happened via this forum or other user group type forums although it'd be nice to see the item in person before the purchase, but timing the inventory around this forum or in the local market is a challenge.

Atom
06-21-2007, 22:18
I work in a major rental house and BGN condition on KEH is generally better than the camera gear we rent. I've found this to be the case with most rental places.

John Noble
06-21-2007, 23:19
I've ordered a fair amount from KEH and have had to return ONE item as defective (cosmetically pristine macro lens with 1:1 adapter that wouldn't lock ... I should have kept it). They handled that one gracefully; everything else has exceeded my expectations.

I'd definitely do business with them again.