PDA

View Full Version : Bessa T

Unregistered
02-06-2004, 18:44
Hello, I'm considering a bessa T purchase. Can anyone share their experience with this camera?
Thanks

Doug
02-06-2004, 21:57
It's a strange camera, perhaps unique in history in having a rangefinder but no veiwfinder. Fortunately, Voigtlander external viewfinders are excellent; bright and easy to view.

I think some users dedicate it to fast operation in good light, using hyperfocal distance "focusing", particularly with wider angle lenses. Then the rangefinder is there when you need more precise focus.

It certainly invokes a different kind of shooting. Using both rangefinder and external viewfinder is slower than a combined range/viewfinder, but when the lens in use requires an external viewfinder anyway, it's no slower than an R or R2. Certainly a fair improvement over the L in every way but cost.

Peter
02-07-2004, 04:44
I used a Bessa T 101 for 6 months before I sold it to invest in a R2 and Ultron. Bessa T is a good camera but just take too long to focus and shoot with a 50mm lens. If you want practical camera get a R2 as it is only slightly more expensive. :D

Doug
02-07-2004, 13:27
Well, let me switch from a descriptive approach to advocacy! There are a few advantages for the Bessa-T over the R2... otherwise I guess none of us would buy one! :-) There is the lower cost of course.

The rangefinder also offers better precision, especially useful with longer and faster lenses.

The top deck is lower, for a little less parallax with external viewfinders.

The retro look is cool :-)

And, certainly not least, the metering diode display is visible on the exterior of the camera without raising the camera to the eye. And it's visible in peripheral vision while using the external viewfinder.

The view of the world through Voigtlander's external viewfinders is big bright and clear. I'm pleased with mine!

Scarpia
02-07-2004, 16:02
I bought one mint for $209.00 two weeks ago. I have not yet had a chance to use it due to the very cold weather in NYC recently. It is solidly made and in addition to what has already ben posted the rangefinder is outstanding, superior to the "R" which I also have. I already have viewfinders which are expensive if you need to buy them to get started. One more thing; it has a Leica M mount which means another $50.00 for a thread mount adapter unless you have M mount lenses in which case it makes a very useful adjunct to a Leica M.
Kurt M.:cool: