PDA

View Full Version : cheep Leica hood

Berliner
02-04-2007, 16:00
(Not inexpensive) I just opened the mail and the lens hood I ordered last week came yesterday. It's for a summicron 35 asph. I can't beleive Leica puts their name on it. It's cheep, flimsy, plastic...Made in Germany, but really cheep plastic. Not nearly up to the high quality CV/Zeiss hoods...

Is there an alternative hood for this lens? Are all the new Leica hoods plastic? I just assumed it'd be at least as high quality as the CV stuff.

furcafe
02-04-2007, 16:53
I think Leica has been using plastic hoods for the past 20 years. I like the plastic hood (12526) for the 35 Summicron ASPH. I recently purchased the LHSA Hammertone version of the lens, which is pretty much just a retro-styled chrome 'cron w/a hammertone finish old-style "basket" hood (like the 12585), & have replaced the metal hood w/the regular plastic version because it does just as good or better a job @ blocking stray light while being smaller & less cumbersome, & lighter.

I suspect the old 12585 or 12585H (plastic), & maybe the 12524, 12538, & 12504 may fit the current 'cron, too. There are also a variety of screw-in 39mm metal hoods that would work.

(Not inexpensive) I just opened the mail and the lens hood I ordered last week came yesterday. It's for a summicron 35 asph. I can't beleive Leica puts their name on it. It's cheep, flimsy, plastic...Made in Germany, but really cheep plastic. Not nearly up to the high quality CV/Zeiss hoods...

Is there an alternative hood for this lens? Are all the new Leica hoods plastic? I just assumed it'd be at least as high quality as the CV stuff.

d30gaijin
02-04-2007, 17:11
I agree. I prefer the plastic lens shades. They're lighter and they don't dent if dropped or smacked into something. I sold my metal shades for ridiculous prices people were willing to pay ($75 and up for some). The main thing to remember is don't buy new because that's where you get nailed by Leica.

peter_n
02-04-2007, 17:18
Take a look at eBay dealer Heavystar's hoods; almost all of my Leica lenses wear them. (No connection.)

Heavystar hoods (http://search.stores.ebay.com/Heavy2stars-Photo-Gear_hood_W0QQfciZ7QQfclZ3QQfsnZHeavy2starsQ20Phot oQ20GearQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQftsZ2QQsaselZ1552931QQso fpZ0)