PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Photog Rescued by R3A

Bike Tourist
12-31-2006, 12:15
My new R3A arrived just in time. Shooting strictly digital SLR for three months had made me sloppy and slovenly in my habits, disrespectful of each unique scene, uninterested in evaluating the lighting on every subject and carefree, knowing each exposure cost really nothing at all.

Too ease the transition I started out on "A", prefering to concentrate on other matters than exposure. The first ten frames were made before I realized I was not focusing. Hmmm. I'd better pay attention. The rest of the roll went more smoothly. I was able to use the exposure hold button. Later, I went to full manual.

Given that the first roll, even when properly focused and exposed, will be garbage, I am quite content knowing that I am once again, for better or for worse, fully in charge of my R3A.

First impressions:

1. It will be interesting to see how the 35mm lens works in conjunction with the 40mm frameline. I don't wear glasses when photographing, prefering instead to use a diopter with the viewfinder. Consequently, I can get my eye close enough to see all around and outside the frame.

2. I don't like the on/off switch. I will leave it on and store the camera without the shutter cocked. I don't think the battery will suffer.

3. The overall fit and finish seems fine. The rangefinder is perfectly aligned in both planes.

4. The shutter is not Leica-like. Everone around you knows when an exposure has been made.

5. The viewfinder readouts are simple, intuitive and logical.

6. The gray body looks nice the whole impression is of a no-nonsense, business-like machine and that's how it has performed so far.

Thank you, Cosina, for reminding me how to get involved with an image!

ClaremontPhoto
12-31-2006, 12:21
You seem to have nailed it pretty quickly.

I use the R3A too and swap and change between 'A' and sunny f16.

MadMan2k
12-31-2006, 12:26
Congrats. I'm sure the change of pace will improve how you work with the SLR too. I'm hoping to get an R4A sometime after it's released, along with the 21mm 4.0.

jairy hunter
01-03-2007, 11:57
I had the same problem--spoiled on autofocus digital (although it made me a much better photographer in two years than I was after the previous 20) --I forgot to focus a lot.

I have the opposite problem with the viewfinder--I have to move my eye back a bit, as opposed to pressed against the camera, to see all the framelines.

Now if I can just get comfortable with the image "as shot" and resist the urge to monkey with it too much in photoshop. One thing about digital: not that it allows you to "fix" images, but you do start seeing possibilities to let's say enhance images to taste with sharpening ( or unsharpening), filters, curves, and my favorite, duotones.

pcfranchina
01-04-2007, 11:54
Great choice and good luck with your new toy! I love mine. It definetly makes you think before you shoot. :)

Bike Tourist
01-04-2007, 12:44
Oh, pcfranchina, you're supposed to think BEFORE you shoot? I'll have to try that! :)

jlancasterd
01-04-2007, 14:28
I got my R3A this morning and have yet to shoot anything with it, but I'm already impressed with the build quality and handling. It's noisier than a Leica M, but no worse than my R8 and the rangefinder seems to work very well.

I was collecting a set of CV lenses to use with an M8 (15 f4.5, 28 f1.9, 50 f1.5) but have decided to wait until Leica sort out the IR and banding problems before I take the plunge - maybe this time next year...

I was considering buying an R3A to provide myself with a 'poor man's M7' to use with the CV lenses in the meantime and ordered one when I saw that Robert White was offering mint examples with full warranty at a discount (they are still being advertised on their website if anyone is interested)

zuikologist
01-04-2007, 14:34
JLD - welcome to the forum. I hope the R3A performs as expected. I have been very happy as a Bessa R and R2 owner with the 35/1.7 Ultron and 50/2.5 CV lenses.

Bike Tourist - I always get confused after switching between DSLR and RF. It seems to take a few shots for the brain to change track.

hitmanh
01-05-2007, 03:15
I usually forget to take the lens cap off when going form DLSR to a rangefinder... doh

Matt