PDA

View Full Version : R3M issues

mc_vancouver
12-08-2006, 10:40
Have had my R3M for a few months now. Nice camera, great meter (although I wish it was more of a spotmeter), but the film frame counter sticks when I open the back to change the film. If I open and close a couple of times, it will usually reset. Because the camera was bought from Rich Pinto of Photo Village, and I'm in Canada, it's a real hassle to send it back, although I may have to do that.

There were other issues: the rangefinder patch was off, but I learned how to open up the top ofthe camera and adjust it, altough it is a hairy experience and more touch and go than science.

The other thing I don't like about the R3M is that the film winding lever feels wimpy, and doesn't snap back after winding forward a frame. The camera is otherwise quite solid, and with the T winder on it, has a heft that allows me to shoot at 1/8th second quite successfully.

I'm liking it, and I get great interest in it from others, not that that is why I bought it, in fact I would rather not be noticed than noticed. Anyone have other issues with this or the R3A?

like2fiddle
12-08-2006, 11:12
Anyone have other issues with this or the R3A?

Yes, I had issues with a R3M. It arrived in August out of allignment - I learned to fix that with the help of Rich. Then, after 5 or 6 rolls of film it went into a kind of endless film advance mode, not resetting the shutter. It turned out ok, I was refunded for the camera. I put the money into a "user" M2 and have been happy ever since.

mc_vancouver
12-12-2006, 19:10
Rich Pinto has suggested I send the camera to Cosina, Japan, where they should be able to repair it to factory specs...I guess this means I'll be without the camera for a couple of months...and out the cost of shipping.

photogdave
12-13-2006, 07:22
Bring it to Camtex in Vancouver. They are the Canadian distributer for Voigtlander and the authorized repair centre. Unfortunately, since you bought it in the USA, you'll have to pay for the repair but it's a better option than sending it to Japan!

Grober
12-14-2006, 09:23
Sent my R2M back to the authorized US dealer I bought it from earlier this year as soon as they became available. Everything is fine EXCEPT irregular film advance intervals between frames on the film and even a few overlapped images. No indications of any trouble at all when I actually shot the film, just some maddening overlaps and other irregular spaces between frames on the developed film.

-g

sockeyed
12-14-2006, 16:19
I've had no problems with my R3M yet, and it just survived a month-long trip to the jungles of Borneo and the heat of Cambodia.

Horst Wenzel may also be able to address your problems here in Vancouver. Do you have his contact information?

5nap5hot
12-14-2006, 18:51
No problems with my R3M... great camera