PDA

View Full Version : Lens Dilemma

oscroft
11-16-2006, 02:27
[Ramble warning]

I recently got a Bessa-R with a 35/2.5, and I've got my eye on a 75/2.5 to go with it. And I have the money to buy one - I have approx £200 from selling some SLR gear on eBay that is earmarked for more RF gear.

But the thing that keeps nagging me is that the 25/4 will very soon be history, and I keep thinking that while there are some stocks left I should snap one up (just like the way I kept prevaricating over taking up the Bessa-R/35 offer, then panicking when Robert White had none left and rushing to get one from CameraQuest). And I do have a J-9 85/2 that I can use instead of a 75/2.5 for now.

I already have a 21/4 and a 15/4.5 (and a Bessa-L). The 21 is a focal length that I feel very comfortable with, so a 25 wouldn't be my natural next choice of lens (though if they were going to be around long enough it would be on my list for a future purchase). The closest focal length lens I have is my 24mm zuiko for OM cameras, and I though I don't use that a lot, when I do use it I like it - but I tend to use my 28mm more with the OMs. So maybe a better future CV purchase would be a 28/3.5 - I reckon 21 & 28 would make a great wideangle combination. But then again, I don't think either 21 or 28 would be ideal for street shooting - I cant help thinking the 25 would be better (perhaps the L with a 25 and the R with the 35 would be a good street combination?).

And if I miss the 25/4 opportunity I'll be kicking myself for never knowing what it was like. If I bought one and decided I didn't like it enough I could always sell it on - kept in good condition the CV lenses do seem to retain their value quite well.

But I keep looking at that 75mm frameline in the Bessa-R (and what a superb viewfinder it is) and I can feel an almost physical pain of desire for a 75/2.5.

So should I spend my money on what I really want most - the 75, or should I get a 25 while I can and start selling/saving again for a 75? That's the question I have to answer. Obviously I'm the only one who can make the decision, but I'd be grateful for any thoughts from you fine folks here, especially from owners of the lenses in question.

Sparrow
11-16-2006, 03:02
This is the 75mm in very contrasty conditions stopped down, and again wide open indoors with backlighting, Iíve been very impressed by it, if itís any help

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/4688/U4688I1152827444.SEQ.0.jpg

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/4688/U4688I1163633690.SEQ.0.jpg

oscroft
11-16-2006, 03:59
Alan, the scuttlebutt is that Mr K will bring out a new (rf copupled?) 25mm lens to complement the new R4 next year, so you might want to take a chance and hold out for that.
Unfortunately it won't fit my R or my L (though I'd love an R4 with what sounds like an excellent wideangle viewfinder - maybe I should sell all my Olympus gear and raise some more money :rolleyes: )

As far as street shooting is concerned, I think a 28mm would be an excellent choice.
Hmm. I do use 28 a lot for SLR shooting - it's been my most used focal length over the past 30 years. And that tiny CV 28/3.5 really does look nice.

sleepyhead
11-16-2006, 04:23
Hello oscroft, well, the two lenses are way different.

I used to have a CV 25mm, thought it would be great for street shooting, but now I have a 21mm and 28mm. Why? Because I found that 25mm was "neither here nor there" in terms of wide. The 28 can almost pass as a "normal wide", and the 21mm comes out for those really tight situations - like the inside of a taxi cab in NYC.

Besides, people will be selling off there CV 25/4's once the faster version comes out in the future...

My two cents...

Will it make it any easier for you to decide if i tell you that I was planning to shortly post a classified ad here on RFF to sell a 75 Heliar for 130 quid?

Good luck in any case, ENJOY!
---Yaron

pvdhaar
11-16-2006, 04:24
If you already have a 21/4, then why would you need a 25/4? Despite having a 25/4 myself, and thinking very highly of it, I can't think of any reason.. it's not more compact, it's not faster, and worse, it's not rangefinder coupled. I'd have chosen the 21 had it been available when I bought that 25..

The only reason you mention is a pang because it's no longer in production, and you're afraid you miss out on something. That reminds me of a saying when investing in stocks: 'profit that you miss is no loss'.. I think it's the same here, a 25 that you don't have isn't a loss because you've got the 21 instead.

The 75 on the other hand is what you really want, matches the R framelines exactly, and would nicely round out a 35/75 combination..

rover
11-16-2006, 04:25
You have the 21, the 28/3.5 is in your eye and of much higher build quality than the 25. Buy the 75 and don't look back.

oscroft
11-16-2006, 04:32
Will it make it any easier for you to decide if i tell you that I was planning to shortly post a classified ad here on RFF to sell a 75 Heliar for 130 quid?
Ooh, what colour is it? My CV gear is all silver (I don't much like this new-fangled black look).

sleepyhead
11-16-2006, 04:37
Hi again, alas, it's black.

rpsawin
11-16-2006, 04:59
What Rover said! The 75 is terrific lens. It's one of my favorites. I have a 25 that just does not get used. I plan on selling it after Thankgiving.

Bob

haagen_dazs
11-16-2006, 06:08
[Ramble warning]

25 wouldn't be my natural next choice of lens
i think you really answered your question.
dont buy for the sake of buying and reselling.
no point , in my opinion.

clintock
11-16-2006, 06:16
You NEED that 75--
I have one in black too, and I'm sort of glad it's black, despite my other lenses being chrome, as there is less glare back into the finder windows in bright sun with the hood fitted. Despite me using it more than a little bit, the paint is staying on quite well.
The 25/4 is really a lens meant for the bessa L i've always thought.

Flyfisher Tom
11-16-2006, 06:58
If you have the 21 and 28 already, there is really no need for a 25. Both the 21 and 28 are great street photography lenses, just pre-focus, set the exposure, and just point and shoot.

Get the 75 if you want a different focal length :) Sleepyhead (Yaron) has an excellent reputation as a partner on RFF.

BillBingham2
11-16-2006, 08:30
I love the current 25, it is a wonderful lens. If I were you, go with the 75.

I'm a big one for having a wide range between lenses that I carry, for me I like 2.6x between lenses, others like 2x, others like 1.5x.

The distortion of the CV 25 is nothing compared to my Lieca 21/2.8. I have no issues using my 25 for people pictures, where as I never liked my 21 for people. Every time I used it, footballs filled the edges. I do not currently own a CV 28 so I can not comment on them. I know there is a big difference in Nikkor F mount 28mm lenses, so I know it's not the focal lenght.

Go 75, it's a fine lens and you are already flush with wides. Sell the russian and get the 25 (or at least part of it).

B2 (;->

Trius
11-16-2006, 09:03
I shoot 21 & 28 on the OM and feel it's a great combination. I don't feel the need for a 24, and the 28 on the street is just fine for me.

Sell all the OM gear? SHUT UP!!!!

oscroft
11-16-2006, 13:28
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your opinions.

You're all right - my reasons for thinking about the 25 are the wrong reasons, so it's going to be the 75. I'll forget the 25 and put a 28/3.5 on the shopping list for some time in the future - I reckon a 21/28 combination will be a great one. But that can wait - it's the 75 next, and I'll spend the winter getting to know the 35/75 combination.

And did I really suggest selling my OM gear? Nah, I'd never do that ;)

pizzahut88
11-16-2006, 17:43
[Ramble warning]

So should I spend my money on what I really want most - the 75, or should I get a 25 while I can and start selling/saving again for a 75? That's the question I have to answer. Obviously I'm the only one who can make the decision, but I'd be grateful for any thoughts from you fine folks here, especially from owners of the lenses in question.
At the end of the day you should get both.
25mm & 75mm is two very different focal length.

Don't worry about the 25 not being available.
I am sure a new RF coupled 25mm will appear soon.
Perhaps it might even be brighter! F2.8?
And for that reason alone, I think you should get the 75 and wait for new 25 to appear.
Or could I be wrong?

Manfred

oscroft
11-17-2006, 00:39
I am sure a new RF coupled 25mm will appear soon.
Perhaps it might even be brighter! F2.8?
The problem with that is that if it's a bayonet mount lens it will be no good to to me - I have a Bessa-R and a Bessa-L and I won't be buying a new body.