PDA

View Full Version : Calling all StrapMeisters

akptc
09-01-2006, 10:20
I have this very capable Crumpler bag (Next Venue (http://www.cambags.com/nikon/d70/shoulder/Crumpler_next_venue_desc.htm)) that is designed to be worn with the shoulder strap across one’s chest, strung from the left shoulder to the right hip. This works really well. Unfortunately, the way the strap is sawn into the back of the bag, it’s nearly impossible to use the bag as a plain-vanilla shoulder bag, as it slips off too easily.

I am hoping to add some kind of a leather/metal loop on each side to immobilize the strap in the “shoulder-bag” position for those times I need one.

Wondering if anyone has tried such mods and where to find the belt/strap/hook materials I might need for this. Also, any ideas on how to do it right would be appreciated.

Btw, the Next Venue bag is a great bag, especially with its “secret” compartment at the bottom which easily stores an assortment of lenses, a flash, meter, etc. The bag, when worn, looks smaller than it really is.

sbug
09-01-2006, 10:54
I'm no strap-meister but could you post a photo of that bag with your gear in it? I'm still trying to decide which Crumpler to get.
Gracias!

akptc
09-01-2006, 11:23
Well, from the top, it will comfortably fit an M-body with the 28 Emarit + hood, a Pentax DS with the 28-200 Tamron loaded, and a Contax G with the 45mm lens + hood; each sliding in and out without effort. The bottom compartment shows two SLR lenses, an empty slot, and a Bessa R2 in an upright/vertical position, again, very comfy fit. It loading RF lenses, more can fit into these compartments. Finally, there are additional pockets for misc stuff. The bag is quite sturdy but not completely stiff, quite pleasant to carry.

sbug
09-01-2006, 12:54
Whoa! That bag is huge! Very nice looking but bigger than I need.
Thanks for posting the pics!