PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep your cameras?

Rich Silfver
08-30-2006, 14:15
I keep my cameras in a number of places right now.
My 'most common shooters' are given a special place on a shelf next to a fireplace in the living room.

It may look as they are there for decoration only - but every time I leave my place and want to bring a camera I just go by and drop one of them into the bag and off I go.

It's no fun asking you to name the cameras - as this group is bound to get it right :)
http://www.pbase.com/rsilfverberg/image/66027594.jpg

(...oh...and they are conveniently close to my couch...so when I am in the mood for some fondling...I light up the fireplace...pick one of them from the shelf..and....eh......... TMI)....

http://www.pbase.com/rsilfverberg/image/66027596.jpg

Crasis
08-30-2006, 14:20
I used to keep mine strewn on the floor wherever I may put them down when I enter my home. Unfortunately, my parents visited me recently and my mother insisted on buying a cheap cabinet and storing them in that.

*sigh* I guess mother knows best.

wlewisiii
08-30-2006, 14:32
The CL is always in the go bag on the dining room table alongside the T90 and it's hippy strap (I justify it by remembering it was my mothers :) ) and then I just grab whichever on my way out the door.

William

sf
08-30-2006, 14:33
Two places:

in my backpack and in my camera bag - in the bag only on days when I leave the house with sole intent to shoot pictures.

flashover
08-30-2006, 14:35
shelf beside my computer desk and pass seat in my van

Jester_rm
08-30-2006, 14:40
Film cameras (1 RF, 1 APS, 1 paperweight) are usually in a glass front display cabinet in the dining room, digital p&s (2) are wherever they last were, most likely next to the computer in the office.

rogue_designer
08-30-2006, 15:00
Either the P or a Lynx 5000 is around my neck (or on the dresser with film in it, ready to go). The ready bag has other lenses for the P and the Rolleiflex + filters film and a meter. This generally goes just about everywhere with me.

F1 and a few lenses is in the car trunk as a back up for whatever I'm walking around with.

D100 is in its ready bag with charged batteries (and a post-it to grab spares off the trickle charger).

VHR is in its bag with 1 preloaded film holder and a post-it to remember to grab a box of polaroid out of the fridge. Same with the Wisner.

The others have a bookshelf devoted to them...Last one used is on the far right - so I can cycle through them and run a roll through every once in a while and make sure they stay usable.

Rich Silfver
08-30-2006, 15:01
The others have a bookshelf devoted to them...Last one used is on the far right - so I can cycle through them and run a roll through every once in a while and make sure they stay usable.

Not a bad idea.

rogue_designer
08-30-2006, 15:03
Not a bad idea.

Seems to work - only problem is if I don't finish a roll, remember what film I'd loaded in one of them. It's forced me to standardize a bit for non-essential cams - so now it's more a matter of remembering if I threw in color or BW :D

ehparis
08-30-2006, 15:10
I store all my cameras anywhere it's difficult to find them. Or so it often seems.

It requires a certain amount of purpose to be disorganized. :cool:

Flyfisher Tom
08-30-2006, 15:31
Those on active duty, in my messenger bag.

Those on shore leave, on my desk.

Rich Silfver
08-30-2006, 17:44
Seems to work - only problem is if I don't finish a roll, remember what film I'd loaded in one of them. It's forced me to standardize a bit for non-essential cams - so now it's more a matter of remembering if I threw in color or BW :D

You could always put post-it notes on the back of them :)

thelovecollect
08-30-2006, 18:47
nice pad rich, you don't happen to be the rich silverstein of goodby, silverstein and partners?

my cameras are in domke wraps...
littered around the house..

FrankS
08-30-2006, 18:51
I have a dedicated darkroom. Cameras are on shelves and in camera bags on the floor. I'd love to have cameras sitting around the common areas of the house, but I am married with children, one of them a boy. My wife is fairly easy-going: I hung my cedar-strip + fiberglass canoe from the living room ceiling (10 ft) for many years, (but it is in the garage now.) Hope Earl reads this! :)

Rich Silfver
08-30-2006, 18:57
nice pad rich, you don't happen to be the rich silverstein of goodby, silverstein and partners?

my cameras are in domke wraps...
littered around the house..

No, I'm of Silfver's of generally poor Silfver's all over the world. Unfortunately.

amateriat
08-30-2006, 19:26
The pair of Hexar RFs, 28, 50 and 90 M-Hex's, along with other necessary knicknacks, spend their time where I've stored them since I bought 'em: in my Domke 803, always at-the-ready. Just add film.

Almost Everything Else (at this moment: Olympus OM-2n, T-32 flash & accessories, extension tubes; Konica Auto S3; Ricoh GR1) is stored in an oldie-but-goodie medium-sized Tenba bag, right next to the Domke.

The Glimmer Twins (Konica Lexio 70 35mm, and Olympus D-510Z a/k/a Obligatory Digital Camera) hang from the chandelier in my workspace (which I'm getting rid of as soon as I can find another fixture appropriate to the space). They both have the same exterior finish, hence the shared nickname. Just don't ask me which one is Mick.

- Barrett

mikeb380
08-30-2006, 19:26
I keep about 40 cameras on 5 shelves in my living room and one is either in my walker basket or on the desk next to the walker. I never go anywhere without at least one camera and two lenses, often more. Well, I lied, I go to the super market without a camera as I need the space in the basket for goodies.
Michael

mikeb380
08-30-2006, 19:45

I don't know if they are still available but there used to be holders to stick on the back of a camera. You could put film box lids in to id your film. My Canon F1 has one on it. If nothing else you could tape a box top on the back.:D

RdEoSg
08-30-2006, 19:49
I used to use one of those.. but then my mind would play tricks and wonder if I remember to change the box lid or not :p

As for my cameras, well, one is on a table somewhere generaly, and the rest are sorta strewn about my room. Technicaly I have a part of my chest for clothes that is set aside for cameras, but I am often to lazy to actually put them in there!

FrankS
08-30-2006, 19:53
I often use the hot shoe to hold film info, usually a bit of the film package.

LazyHammock
08-30-2006, 20:14
The user MF and lenses are in a Tamrac backpack, The two user 35mms are in my Domke F6B with film, notebook, pen etc ready to go. There are a few older cameras which are looking pretty on my bookshelves and may never get used again - although I had my 1938 Voigtlander Brillant CLA'd and I love the results.
If I leave a camera with film in it I'll sometimes use the blue decorator's tape to identify the film.
Cheers,
Nick

tajart
08-30-2006, 20:15
i have a couple of bags readied for the grab and go, when i need to use a certain set-up. but my everyday carry bag is big enough to accomodate a variety of things- camera, a couple of lenses, cell, wallet, digital music and digital cam and, a moleskin...but the most dangerous thing is to have the camera in the bag once i've left the house.
i've used cabinets, shelves, safe deposit boxes for those not being used, but lately have come to prefer camera bags to keep them out of sight and free of dust....

ErnestoJL
08-30-2006, 20:31
Most of my cameras are in drawers under the computer table. A few others (those bigger than the drawer´s) are in shelves in my office and the one I use most (a Yashica Electro 35 GS(T)N), allways in my shoulder bag.

Ernesto

rbiemer
08-30-2006, 20:34
Hmm, do I really want to give this sensitive info away? (OK, OK, what I really mean is: Do I want to admit to the space I need for my "I'm not a collector" collection?:D )
So. I live in a boarding house and have one (large) room to myself. And won't leave anything valuable in the general areas. I got two of those steel shelving units and one is for books and the other is for most of the photo junk. I did line the "photo" shelves. The top shelf(tall enough that I can't actually see all of it with out getting on a chair) is where all the Medium Format stuff is. Next shelf down is where my current shooters, lenses, etc are. The next one down from that(second up from the bottom)is where the stuff I use occasionally but not regularly is: K2 slr, an EOS my sister gave me, a few others. The bottom shelf is where the negs, prints, and CDs are. The camera that I am using day to day hangs by its strap with the small bag that supports it(lenses, film, filters, etc) both on a honking big brass hook by the door.
And then there are the cameras at my mom's house(she permanently "borrowed" my Olympus stylus so she gets to keep a few things as well). And I'm pretty sure there are one or two at my dad and stepmom's house.
On my desk is where which ever package is the latest is.
Oh crap, do I have a lot of this stuff!:eek:
And for everyone's info they are ALL right next to the big ol' mean, rabid, insecure skunk. Just the other side of the moat. Near the land mines.:p
Rob

back alley
08-30-2006, 21:06
nothing fancy...i have an old folding table in the basement, about 6 feet long i'd say.
half of it has on old fabric sheet on it, folded a few times-nice and thick.
i have 5 camera bags on the fabric. most of my gear is in the 2 main bags.
of the 3 the smaller bags, one is usually ready to go. i always keep a camera in my day bag and it gets transferred to the basement on friday night to join the other gear and be readied for weekend duty if needed.

Marc-A.
08-30-2006, 21:12
Beautiful set of cameras Rich.
I don't have as many cameras as you Rich but I let them all on the shelves of my bookcases. And I like them mixed with my books. See bellow a pic; you can guess an Holga on the bottom left corner; my FSU RF are on the upper shelf, and my SLR on the lower.
Marc

JimG
08-30-2006, 22:01
Rich, I keep my cameras on a shelf like yours BUT less then a month ago we had a 6.7 earthquake up here. I called home and asked my wife to describe the damage done to my cameras. (I pictured my studio floor strewn with tragically broken Leica parts.) Fortunately there was no damage and I'm now rethinking how I store my cameras. Jim

Xmas
08-30-2006, 23:20
50% of my Kievs (a lower % for the Ger & Jap kit) are in pieces in paper development trays 10x8" - intermediate & - 20x16" awaiting a new part or refurbish (e.g. 2x need ribbon). The remainder live in pre-packed camera bags for a trip or walk about - scattered like confetti.

Ive a bad habit of buying a scrap cam and refurbishing it as is seems like a nicer camera than the one I was fixing.

When I Dyson I always use a strong magnet on the house dust afterwards just in case a ferromagnetic part makes a bid for freedom. All the small parts are stuck to Gaffer tape in each trays.

I stick Avery label scraps to baseplates with current film and any problems notes as well as keeping a log book, to allow a trace back to a body e.g. for light leaks shutter problems etc. This trace is more difficult with soup your own in 6x tanks or chrome file posted off with a long turn around.

If it rains a grab a bag and go for a hill walk I should really fix a camera instead. My mum would sort me out if she visited.

P.S. The enlarger is a little Ru suitcase job that needs all its foam replaced, it lives in the studio flats cupboard.

Noel

Marc-A.
08-30-2006, 23:22
Rich, I keep my cameras on a shelf like yours BUT less then a month ago we had a 6.7 earthquake up here. I called home and asked my wife to describe the damage done to my cameras. (I pictured my studio floor strewn with tragically broken Leica parts.) Fortunately there was no damage and I'm now rethinking how I store my cameras. Jim

I feel sorry for what happened to you; it must be a terrible experience. Fortunately, it seems your wife and you haven't been hurt, that's the most important.
I hope when you called your wife, you asked first if she was safe and ok ;)
Nothing is better than a Leica, but a wife :D
Marc

Silva Lining
08-30-2006, 23:28
I have a large wardrobe in our spare bedroom. The left hand side is for all developing equipment chemicals and film. The right hand side is for cameras. Top shelf is for accessories - next shelf for lenses (Those that are not mounted) Next two shelves are for 35mm - 1 shelf digital - Canon stuff - 1 shelf rangefinders. Finally the bottom shelf is for medium / large format.

I also keep about 8 of the nicest cameras on a shelf - kinda on display- but like a previous poster mentioned - I rotate them to make sure a film goes through them once in a while.

Finally my everyday shooters (M3 'cron and R3M) sit in my camera bag next to my office desk - ready to go!

telenous
08-30-2006, 23:38
nothing fancy...i have an old folding table in the basement...
...half of it has on old fabric sheet on it, folded a few times-nice and thick.

Perhaps I am spending too much time fondling my cameras and I expect everyone does the same. First time I read this it said "...I have an old fondling table in the basement...fondled a few times - nice and thick" :eek:

Time to get me coffee methinks, it will help open the other eye too :cool:

PS Where do I keep my cameras? Usually on the shelf of my library. Otherwise, here and there, you know.

JimG
08-31-2006, 00:25
I feel sorry for what happened to you; it must be a terrible experience. Fortunately, it seems your wife and you haven't been hurt, that's the most important.
I hope when you called your wife, you asked first if she was safe and ok ;)
Nothing is better than a Leica, but a wife :D
Marc

Oh yea, after more then 25 years of marriage I knew enough to ask about the family first. But who's foolin' who? she knew I was calling about the cameras. She did however appreciate my tact in asking about her first. :D

lubitel
08-31-2006, 00:28
some are in a drawer, some in a shoe-box, 2 on a shelf, some on top of a wardrobe, and 2 in a ... sock-drawer. dont laugh - its nice and cozy in there.

Terence T
08-31-2006, 00:58
Wish I had the luxury of leaving my cameras lying about. In the harsh humid climate here in Asia, I'm forced to keep em in humidity controlled cabinets. So far my collection number 3 x 100 liter cabinets, might be time for a fourth one soon.

Rich Silfver
09-08-2006, 18:26
Oh..and the cameras in the bedroom:
http://www.pbase.com/rsilfverberg/image/66528419.jpg

mc_vancouver
09-08-2006, 18:30
Bashing around in a bag. A plastic shopping bag. Kidding! In an unpadded camera bag, which I thought was very photojournalistic and all, but having had a few bashes here and there, would like to get something like those nice Artist and Artisan bags we get advertised here now and then. Something to hold two bodies, three lenses and a partridge without the pear tree.