PDA

View Full Version : Problem or just glitch?

MP Guy
07-05-2006, 10:28
I mounted my 50mm 1.4 to my MP yesterday. I could not focus. as i turned the focus knob, the framelines actually moved left to right and vice versa. I unmounted the lens and remounted it. had no more problems. Is this a common thing? is this just the lens improperly mounted?

Mackinaw
07-05-2006, 10:34
This is a new one on me. I've probably have changed lenses on both my M3 and MP hundreds of times without ever encounting what you describe (both M mount and LTM with adapters). Let's hope that it was a once in a lifetime occurence.

Jim Bielecki

Fred
07-05-2006, 10:48
I understand your concern Jorge, I'd wonder what was happenning with the MP and Lux.

This sounds odd, the framelines do move with the focus ring for parallax (as I'm sure you already know, apologies in this case). The RF patch not sliding to focus is another story. I guess you could put it down to 'one of those moments'. I have the ASPH version that behaves fine on the M7. I guess I'd worry if its reproducable.

ampguy
07-05-2006, 11:03
Jorge,

Are you dyslexic? Seriously, nothing to be ashamed of, we're here for you.

I mounted my 50mm 1.4 to my MP yesterday. I could not focus. as i turned the focus knob, the framelines actually moved left to right and vice versa. I unmounted the lens and remounted it. had no more problems. Is this a common thing? is this just the lens improperly mounted?

Dougg
07-05-2006, 12:36
Given recent temperatures, it wouldn't be frigid stiff grease in the RF! But it seems possible there might have been a spot of crud in the way of movement at the moment, maybe combined with a weak spring... Am I recalling correctly that some MPs weren't well-sealed against dust and such around the eyepiece? Is yours one of those?

I'm remembering having a sticky RF patch in a Fuji GS645S, fixed by cleaning and lube... and a stronger return spring.

SDK
07-05-2006, 12:39
Not to be rude, but you could see an image in your RF patch right? You didn't have your finger over the RF window or something simple like that (a mistake I've made a few times)?

If it's not that, the camera RF cam may have gotten pinched or stuck back all the way and become unable to move. With the lens off, you should be able to push the little roller & arm back, and have it spring forward as you release pressure. It should move back with some resistance, then spring forward freely. Don't force it though, because this is a precision part of the RF mechanism. If the cam sticks, it may need to be lubed or adjusted.