PDA

View Full Version : FSU contest - at last

nzeeman
05-20-2006, 09:56
since Jorge didnt make a gallery for contest yet i decided to do something.
i made a place at flickr where we will make a contest.
username is fsuphoto2006
and password is Baltermants
(password is case sensitive so you need to write B in Baltermants. also you need to Sign in to Flickr using your Yahoo! ID )

Rules:
theme - since this is first contest theme will be free. if this contest succeed we will make more contests and they will have some theme.
gear - fsu body and lens
size of photo should be less than 200kb
2 photos per user
we will vote by adding comment under photo "i vote for this photo" - photo with most votes is winner.
if gallery is too small for all competitors i will make another one where we will continue uploading. :D
now get your fsu friends in hands and start making photos!
i hope everybody will have a great time!

Fedzilla_Bob
05-20-2006, 10:20
Hi Nzeeman-

Can you post a little more information?

What is the deadline?

What is the prize?

Also, how will we avoid "Chicago voters" syndrome? Where one voter can input more than one vote? Or one voter using multiple names.

Perhaps we can think it through a bit more?

nzeeman
05-20-2006, 10:50
i forgot about deadline - but lets say 1st july.
i think we will do it for fun only - so winner is not so important.
(kim koxon said that he will give fed2 and gordy that he will give starp - but since we waited too long i dont know do they still want that - but more important is too have good time taking photos) :D

Brad Bireley
05-20-2006, 10:54
I'm in. It will give me a very good reason to get out & use my newly aquired Kiev4a & various lenses!

Solinar
05-20-2006, 11:20
Just for fun is a good prize. I'm in, too.

SCOTFORTHLAD
05-20-2006, 11:25
Count me in as well,hopefully my recent Fed 2's will give me somthing worth submitting. :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Brian.

Fedzilla_Bob
05-20-2006, 11:33
Fun is good :) always!

Thanks for posting a deadline.

I guess we will just have to be on our honor when it comes to voting limits ;)

nzeeman
05-20-2006, 11:34
welcome guys!!!

kvanderlaag
05-20-2006, 11:51
Definitely in!

rpinchbeck
05-20-2006, 12:00
I'd better fire up my scanner!

Russ Pinchbeck

Kim Coxon
05-20-2006, 12:28
Hi,
If the comp is here, the Fed is available. If it is run on another site, sorry but I support RFF.

Kim

SCOTFORTHLAD
05-20-2006, 12:51
Sounds better to stick with RFF to me,irrespective of the prize.

(Besides I would probably get lost on the way to the other site) ;)

What do you lads(or lasses)think?

Brian.

nzeeman
05-20-2006, 13:16
i think its easier to do it on flickr than to torture jorge . and i saw that a lot of guys here use flickr to upload photos. and we will not eat all rff bandwidth with our comp.
and its just for fun. and its not other site its a public place.

clarence
05-20-2006, 14:02
I really appreciate the initiative, but I would suggest being a bit patient, what with all the changes that are happening right now. It's a period of transition, but I'm sure Jorge would be more than happy to support the competition with the relevant infrastructure.

This is significant, considering that the format of the gallery was being discussed not too long ago.

Also, flickr is not very friendly to those without shockwave / flash, and it requires you to have either a flickr or yahoo membership.

Clarence

nzeeman
05-20-2006, 14:14
u dont need to i opened account for all of us
username is fsuphoto2006
and password is Baltermants

Fedzilla_Bob
05-20-2006, 14:33
Dear FSU Comrades-

Consider the following-
Having the competition here brings recognition to a few things at once, not all of the following are immediately obvious...

FSU cameras are worth using

That a lot can be done with them for a few rubles

That FSU cameras have a healthy following

That RFF is more than high end, high priced cameras

Additionally, we have a proven polling system available to us here at this forum.

If we agree to work out the details with each other then Jorge, we could end up with something really worth being proud of.

nzeeman
05-20-2006, 14:55
i still stay with idea of making contest on flickr. i love rff but we are not slaves of it. its not a betrayal to make gallery there. so whoever wants to join contest can do it in that flickr gallery. im not forcing anyone. if someone can organize it here he is free to make another contest in rff gallery.
:D

Jocko
05-20-2006, 15:28
Dear FSU Comrades-

Consider the following-
Having the competition here brings recognition to a few things at once, not all of the following are immediately obvious...

Additionally, we have a proven polling system available to us here at this forum.

If we agree to work out the details with each other then Jorge, we could end up with something really worth being proud of.

I will not be taking part in any contest - I simply do not believe in them.

But, from a disinterested viewpoint, if one must have a contest it should be properly organised and a true celebration of the creative vitality of RFF's FSU community. I completely agree with Fedzilla_Bob, Kim, SCOTFORTHLAD and Clarence. Nzeeman's enthusiasm is entirely admirable, but RFF gives legitimacy and status to both result and competition. Otherwise there is merely a mess - and perhaps even potential for ill-feeling.

Ian

Kim Coxon
05-20-2006, 15:53
I have no problem with anybody organising any competion for anybody anywhere. Jorge agreed that an "FSU" comp could be held on the Forum and I offered a camera as a prize for that comp. I have kept that camea on one side for that event. If you intend to run a comp eleswhere, that is up to you but it is a different matter. However, you made the assumption that I did not have the camera anymore and you have also linked my name with your comp rather than an RFF one. You could at least have sent a PM and asked me first. ;)

Kim

i still stay with idea of making contest on flickr. i love rff but we are not slaves of it. its not a betrayal to make gallery there. so whoever wants to join contest can do it in that flickr gallery. im not forcing anyone. if someone can organize it here he is free to make another contest in rff gallery.

comp_wiz101
05-20-2006, 17:02
I think that, seeing as how the RFF brought everyone together for this contest, it would make sense for it to be held here.

fgianni
05-21-2006, 01:13
nzeeman

I understand what you mean and I really appreciate your enthusiasm; however since, as Kim has pointed, Jorge agreed to have the comp on the forum, I too think that it would be much nicer to have the contest here.

back alley
05-21-2006, 01:21
perhaps p.m. jorge with a reminder about setting up a seperate gallery.

jonasv
05-21-2006, 01:30
I'll join if it's on RFF. Not only do I think it's only fair, but also because I don't care about flickr and won't sign up for it (and yes I know you've created an account, but everyone would need a personal account as well in order to vote).

nzeeman
05-21-2006, 02:45
ok. sorry everyone. i didnt mean to be against rff, also i didnt said kim dont have camera anymore, i just thought that everybody forgot about this contest so i didnt want to make promises in his name. lets forget about flickr, and if jorge open gallery we will make it here.

iņaki
05-21-2006, 03:11
ok. sorry everyone. i didnt mean to be against rff, also i didnt said kim dont have camera anymore, i just thought that everybody forgot about this contest so i didnt want to make promises in his name. lets forget about flickr, and if jorge open gallery we will make it here.

Well done, "rectificar es de sabios" (I donīt know how to translate this spanish "refran")

I will participate if my "new" Zorki 3M arrives in good working order :p .

tkluck
05-21-2006, 07:02
I'm gonna start taking pictures now and worry about contest details when that gets sorted out. Personally like to see it here and grow into a regular thing.

Debt of thanks to Nzeeman for getting the ball rolling again! Next time let's suggest hosting it at Nikonians and see what happens :D.

If all else fails, I'll just upload a dozen of mine, and buy myself a beer if I get even one comment that doesn't include the word "suck".

PetarDima
05-21-2006, 07:54
I have no problem with anybody organising any competion for anybody anywhere. Jorge agreed that an "FSU" comp could be held on the Forum and I offered a camera as a prize for that comp. I have kept that camea on one side for that event. If you intend to run a comp eleswhere, that is up to you but it is a different matter. However, you made the assumption that I did not have the camera anymore and you have also linked my name with your comp rather than an RFF one. You could at least have sent a PM and asked me first. ;)

Kim

I agree. RFF is good place for FSU contest. Jorge, where are you?I am afraid, very soon we will remember ... RFF - it was one of the last places where people with old,strange cameras shared their finest photos... Jorge, help us to start the competition - tomorrow will be too late - people will replace rf. with digital cameras...

PetarDima
05-21-2006, 07:58
One more thought : It will be fine, if all of us will be able to shoot with Epson RD!

rover
05-21-2006, 08:09
Hey guys, Fedzilla Bob is following up with some inquiries so lets see where things go.

ErnestoJL
05-21-2006, 08:44
Well done, "rectificar es de sabios" (I donīt know how to translate this spanish "refran")

I will participate if my "new" Zorki 3M arrives in good working order :p .

Iņaki:

It can be said as "a wise one rectifies" or "the wise one makes it right". Also, " a wise one amends his words".
This are perhaps the not best ever translations, but our "refranes" couldnīt be allways translated well from castilian to english without any adaption to the other language.

This is because many words of both languages which at a first glance seem to have same meaning would (and definitely do) have a totally different concept behind. Then sometimes we say something absolutely different from what we wanted to say. English words are context sensitive what fortunately doesnīt happen too often in aour mather language.

Best regards from Buenos Aires

Ernesto

PS: count me in for the contest here in RFF!!!! My Kiev will be glad to do something.

ClaremontPhoto
05-21-2006, 08:49
I'll just upload a dozen of mine, and buy myself a beer if I get even one comment that doesn't include the word "suck".

How about "I love your pictures, Come on over and suck my toes: Angelina Jolie"?

reagan
05-21-2006, 19:40
"Come on over and suck my toes: Angelina Jolie."Tread lightly Comrade! Tread lightly! I've seen those toes kick some serious butt. http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Perfect timing on the Contest!! I'm heading out tomorrow on 10 days of vacation. Since I'm packing light, I've sidelined my traveling motto of "No Zorki left behind!" and am only taking 5 cameras and 8 lenses.

I haven't posted a new pic on my blog this month because (a) I'm too stinkin' busy to shoot and (b) I've got film in 4 different cameras! Can't seem to get to the end of a roll. :(

So the contest challenge comes at a great time for me. I'll be out there shooting! May not check in much, but hopefully I'll come back with something to throw in the ring. Good luck guys! Have fun! Enjoy your FSUs!! Thanks nzeeman!

P.S. ~ If we use a cheap German copy of a Zorki, it's okay, right? *joke* http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

SCOTFORTHLAD
05-22-2006, 06:44
Just to encourage us all,I'm pretty sure that the winning photo in the main RFF contest was taken with a Jupiter 8 !! admittedly on a Bessa R . :)

jan normandale
05-22-2006, 07:07
I've been tracking this thread and waiting for some thing to develop. If we get a gallery and thread started by Jorge ('by george') as Backalley suggests , we should ensure some minimal guidelines are included besides an FSU camera, ie also using FSU glass..

kmack
05-22-2006, 09:28
While I also agree the contest should be held on RFF I like nzeeman's idea of the flickr gallery and I may post both to flickr and to here. A little film, FSU, rangefinder evangelism may just leak out to infect a larger audience.

My Kievs and Zorkis are cleaned, adjusted and ready to go.

SCOTFORTHLAD
05-22-2006, 09:46
P.S. Thanks due to Nzeeman for raising the whole topic!! :)

Cheers,

Brian.

RML
05-22-2006, 09:56
OK, can we get a recap of the rules, etc? How about the gallery here on RFF? Any word on that?

Fedzilla_Bob
05-22-2006, 12:14
Waiting on a reply to a PM sent Friday.

Main thing I'm hearing - keep it fun :)

lubitel
05-22-2006, 12:52
I've been tracking this thread and waiting for some thing to develop. If we get a gallery and thread started by Jorge ('by george') as Backalley suggests , we should ensure some minimal guidelines are included besides an FSU camera, ie also using FSU glass..

I think its important that in this contest, both FSU glass and FSU body are used. Otherwise whats the point of an "FSU contest"? Using zorki with leica glass or a leica with jupiter is very un-sovietlike :D

Dracotype
05-22-2006, 14:38
I think its important that in this contest, both FSU glass and FSU body are used. Otherwise whats the point of an "FSU contest"? Using zorki with leica glass or a leica with jupiter is very un-sovietlike :D
I think that was already hashed out in the previous thread on the FSU contest. No Kraut cameras here!! :D (please, I mean this in the most lighthearted manner ;) )

Drew

P.S. I'm in...

ch1
05-22-2006, 16:11
While I've yet to find out if my Keiv 4AM even works, I'm interested if ou hold it here on RFF.

As to not hearing from Jorge - remember, he posted a thread the other day that he is in the process of moving back to the Portland, OR area and might be otherwise occupied right now....

rover
05-22-2006, 16:52
Good point George about Jorge's move

iliks
05-23-2006, 01:36
I like the idea and I'm in! (in case it starts)

Also, I think we should decide on rules of Photoshop use - i.e. if one can make film noise filtering and correcting small defects or not.

nzeeman
05-23-2006, 02:16
of course we will use fsu glass .
even in a previous topic everybody agreed on that.
and i think i wrote in rules: gear - fsu body and lens

RML
05-23-2006, 02:48
It'll give me a chance to use my Kiev. :)

lubitel
05-23-2006, 03:28
I'll be using my new Z5 and practicing bottom loading :D

fgianni
05-23-2006, 05:25
I am undecided between a Zorki 4M and a Zorki 6, and the lenses, J12, ,8, or I62 LD? :confused:

Decisions decisions.

ampguy
05-24-2006, 11:07
how about a contest where the camera can't have cost more than $3 USD, no meter, user cannot have found or read a user manual for the camera. Processing costs cannot be more than $3.99. :D

Dear FSU Comrades-

Consider the following-

Kim Coxon
05-24-2006, 11:28
A Zorki 4M - Now that's a new one on me. :D

Kim

I am undecided between a Zorki 4M and a Zorki 6, and the lenses, J12, ,8, or I62 LD? :confused:

Decisions decisions.

rxmd
05-24-2006, 12:05
And the I-62 is probably the hacked-up half-frame clone of a large format X-ray enlarging lens with the logo painted over ;)

I'll join in with the Z-6 and the I-61 and J-12. Got to warm up the scanner! :)

Philipp

rpinchbeck
05-24-2006, 12:33
I can come close to these stringent requirements, I got one Kiev 4a that cost me $7 Cdn, of course no meter, and no I have not read a user manual.

how about a contest where the camera can't have cost more than $3 USD, no meter, user cannot have found or read a user manual for the camera. Processing costs cannot be more than $3.99. :D

Cheers,

Russ Pinchbeck

Heath
05-25-2006, 03:37
WEll, I am in. I could use another excuse to go out and shoot away with my Zorki-4 or my Kiev 3a.

Just a thought, does the camera have to be a rangefinder to qualify? I ask this as I have a couple of Zenits (including a Fotosnaiper), a Lubitel 2 and I am waitng on a Kiev 88 TTL to be delivered. These are all FSU cameras and have FSU lenses, so theoretically they qualify.

Also does it have to be 35mm? I also have a Moskva 2. This is a rangefinder, is a FSU camera wirh FSU glass. So is MF allowed?

Either way, I am in. Also, is there going to be a theme? I remember something about a theme in the the previous thread, something about showing off where we live through Soviet glass or something.

Heath

Kim Coxon
05-25-2006, 03:52
If you search through the thread, I think you will find that it is FSU non SLR. This is RFF after all! So Moskva - yes, Zenit - no.

Kim

WEll, I am in. I could use another excuse to go out and shoot away with my Zorki-4 or my Kiev 3a.

Just a thought, does the camera have to be a rangefinder to qualify? I ask this as I have a couple of Zenits (including a Fotosnaiper), a Lubitel 2 and I am waitng on a Kiev 88 TTL to be delivered. These are all FSU cameras and have FSU lenses, so theoretically they qualify.

Also does it have to be 35mm? I also have a Moskva 2. This is a rangefinder, is a FSU camera wirh FSU glass. So is MF allowed?

Either way, I am in. Also, is there going to be a theme? I remember something about a theme in the the previous thread, something about showing off where we live through Soviet glass or something.

Heath

fgianni
05-25-2006, 03:53
A Zorki 4M - Now that's a new one on me. :D

Kim

Damn laptop keyboard, I mean K

PetarDima
05-25-2006, 08:24
well, same question again-where is the green light?Where is gallery on RFF?

Fedzilla_Bob
05-25-2006, 08:36
If you search through the thread, I think you will find that it is FSU non SLR. This is RFF after all! So Moskva - yes, Zenit - no.

Kim

Translation-

Moskva - Da!

Zenit - Nyet!

Ash
05-25-2006, 08:45
So what's happening about this then?

Any more news on an official competition being born? I'm totally lost with this thread!!

jan normandale
05-25-2006, 11:56
how about asking one of the administrators to step in.... like one or two who have posted in this thread??? Kim, Joe can you set this up?

Laurence
05-25-2006, 12:23
I'm in, and have my first roll of film already in the recent acqusition of a Zorki 4K and Jupiter 8. If the whole thing actually WORKS, and I actually get a real negative, with no problems, out of the Zorki, then that will be swell!

One good thing...the rewind knob is rotating as I'm advancing the film...so it's probably loaded properly.

Ash
05-25-2006, 12:36
OT - yep its loading fine. Let me know if you get a scratch from the pressure plate. my negs have been fowled by a consistent, thin, line about 2/3 the way into the neg. :S - not sure how i'll rectify this in time for a competition .. any idea's?

reagan
06-01-2006, 12:16
*bumpus*

Looks like we're getting plenty of time to practice. Guess I'll just keep winding on til' something [maybe] materializes here. http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif Thankfully, it's good FSU-shooting weather, Comrades. So let's put our hands to the work! http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Fedzilla_Bob
06-01-2006, 12:27
Muhahahah- I've loaded my newly acquired Kiev 4a and it's an f8 kind of day.

2maneekameras
06-01-2006, 12:53
How about requiring a FSU camera paid for in FSU currency, using film manufactured in the FSU, scanning with a FSU scanner, uploading from a FSU computer and modem via a FSU ISP, and FSU subject matter in photo?

brachal
06-01-2006, 18:40
I hope the gallery gets set up soon! I am excited about this contest.

MP Guy
06-02-2006, 12:07
you guys have my blessings :) When its all ready to go forward send me the details so I can promotee it.

Fedzilla_Bob
06-02-2006, 12:19
Booyah!

Thanks!

clarence
06-02-2006, 21:41
Let us get this started! Theme, rules and deadline.

Clarence

John Robertson
06-03-2006, 17:03
OT - yep its loading fine. Let me know if you get a scratch from the pressure plate. my negs have been fowled by a consistent, thin, line about 2/3 the way into the neg. :S - not sure how i'll rectify this in time for a competition .. any idea's?
sounds like a bit of grit trapped in the bit where the pressure plate is riveted to the spring, I 've had this trouble with two Feds, a little careful work with metal pollish, then a good clean with alcohol cured it.

Ash
06-05-2006, 10:34
I couldn't see any grit, nor feel a bump around the rivet areas. It seems the pressure plate would slide out of position, so that the pressure plate was angled outwards on one side. I think this led to excess pressure on the neg meaning it would scratch along somewhere by the f.p.shutter area. Since its a FSU cam, the repair must be a botch-job, and a bit of tape seemed to do fine.

Any more news on this competition?