PDA

View Full Version : Removing a stuck filter from a lens

raid
03-28-2006, 17:32
This must have been discussed many time before; what is a good way to remove a filter from a lens when it seems to be stuck firmly on the lens? I don't want to harm the lens. Thanks for your suggested methods.

VictorM.
03-28-2006, 17:39
Press it down on a rubber mouse pad or use at least three fingers spread out evenly to remove the filter. If you try to squeeze the filter with a tool or a thumb and one finger, you will distort the filter and bind the threads together tighter.

back alley
03-28-2006, 17:46
a filter wrench can work also, if the above doesn't.

Stu W
03-28-2006, 18:20
Put the filter face down on a couple of ice cubes.

peterc
03-28-2006, 18:25
I don't want to harm the lens.
I usually press the filter against the sole of my running shoe and turn the lens. Hasn't failed yet ... or hurt the filter.

Peter

peter_n
03-28-2006, 18:45
I stretch a thick(ish) rubber band around the filter, then circle it with my thumb and forefinger, ensuring that grip is applied around most of the circumference of the filter. It really works for me. :)

raid
03-28-2006, 18:58
Thanks for the tips. I will try them out and will let you know. I have a Canon 50/1.8 lens with a Walz filter stuck on it.

Dingo
03-28-2006, 19:04
I have come across with this problem once. I finally found a simple way to remove the filter.
Put the lens in a relatively cold place (not in a fridge !) for some time and then use your own 'warm hand' grabing the filter for a while, it should be removed a little easier.

FrankS
03-28-2006, 19:10
I press a rubber mat against the front and rotate the mat and camera in opposit directions.

or sometimes holding the edge of the filter at just one point between thumb and forefinger works.

The problem with the "normal' way of unsrewing a filter is that the pressure of the thumb and forefinger on opposit sides of the filter diameter causes the filter to warp or deform, and only causes binding and no filter removal happiness.

jlw
03-28-2006, 21:31
If a rubber band isn't grippy enough, go to a good hardware store and try to find some of the soft rubber tape used for packing below-ground electrical connections. This is different from regular "electrical tape" -- it's made of very soft rubber and has a red liner covering the adhesive that has to be peeled off. The adhesive is only slightly tacky and leaves no residue.

Wrapping this stuff around almost anything gives you the grip of King Kong. Wrap the outer rim of the filter with it, then encircle the entire rim with your thumb and forefinger (as others have said, squeezing at just two points distorts the filter and makes it harder to remove.) Now twist; if the filter is going to come off at all, this should get it.

In case none of the methods described here work, you usually can destructively remove a filter by extracting the glass (usually held by a split ring inside the rim) then gripping the empty metal rim with needle-nose pliers and bending it. Just wrap it around the pliers like the sealing band on a sardine can wraps around the opening key. When you've wrapped enough, remove the remains. This will destroy the filter rim, but if nothing else works (which might be the case, if the filter has been jammed by impact) it may be the only way to remove it. With luck, you'll be able to save the glass and re-mount it in another rim.

VinceC
03-29-2006, 05:21
Pliers work, while protecting the lens with a rubber band or cloth.

I once had a cheap filter stuck on a lens. Stuck good. Nothing worked. So I carefully broke the glass (it wasn't so cheap as to be plastic) and used pliers to carefully bend the filter ring off the lens barrel ... it bent fairly easily without the glass in place.

bob cole
03-29-2006, 06:49
I have a different method to remove stuck filters. I have a round rubber pad that I bought in a hardware store. You hold the rubber pad in your right hand and wrap it around the filter and twist the filter counter-clockwise while holding the lens firmly in your left hand...I paid 25 cents (usd) for the rubber pad and, later, got one free from a local bank [you can also use the pad to unscrew jar tops]...regards, bob

kbg32
03-29-2006, 06:53
A wide rubber band works in a pinch as well. Wrap it around the filter and twist.

JohnL
03-29-2006, 06:55
Chamois leather also grips well

Scarpia
03-29-2006, 07:41
I have a different method to remove stuck filters. I have a round rubber pad that I bought in a hardware store. You hold the rubber pad in your right hand and wrap it around the filter and twist the filter counter-clockwise while holding the lens firmly in your left hand...I paid 25 cents (usd) for the rubber pad and, later, got one free from a local bank [you can also use the pad to unscrew jar tops]...regards, bob
Bob is talking about a rubber jar opener. My local bank was giving them out as well and I find it is superior to the rubber band method which I previously used. I also have a single 39mm to 42 mm lens adapter which screws on to the back of the lens and can be very hard to remove. The jar opener makes it fairly easy to do. It is necessary to press down but not too hard and unscrew at the same time.
Kurt M.

raid
04-01-2006, 07:25
The filter was finally removed by firmly pressing the lens against a rubbery cloth and then squeezing the filter to rotate open, and it did. Thanks for the useful tips. It is always good to have access to such a great website and people! Herzlichen Dank.

Andy K
04-01-2006, 08:14
Another option, if this happens again, is rubber kitchen gloves.

jj_90
02-01-2008, 22:08
Sorry to drag an old thread up, but I just had to register and thank you all for the suggestions. I've had a couple of filters stuck for months now and they wouldn't come off with any amount of pressure or technique. Finally deciding to Google the subject, this thread was the first that I checked. Sure enough, one filter came off with my wearing a single rubber kitchen glove - while the other more stubborn filter took
a cube of ice and the rubber glove. Couldn't have been easier! Thanks again :D

Brian Sweeney
02-02-2008, 00:42
I picked up a beautiful Nikkor 35mm F2 lens "dirt cheap" on Ebay because the filter had a "ding" in it and would not come off. The lens was perfect. These tips can be money savers.

raid
02-03-2008, 08:08
I will look for such lenses, Brian.

mihkel-m
04-08-2009, 10:39
Sorry for bumping this thread, but here's how I got my CPL off of my 50/1.8. I just used the same USB cable I use to connect my camera to my computer. Wrapped it around the filter and it came right off. Pressing it against a rubber surface wouldn't help, since CPL's front side rotates.

brder13
12-09-2009, 07:47
I had a circular polarized filter stuck on my lens. I first tried using a rubber cleaning glove with no success. After suggestions from this thread, I used a frozen ice pack, instead of ice cubes, and set my lens/filter face down onto it for a few minutes. Then I used the rubber cleaning glove, and turning counter clockwise, unscrewed the filter pretty easily. Thanks for all the advice!

Bill58
12-09-2009, 21:39
Most good camera stores (if any left) carry cheap plastic filter wrenches-get two. If none, go to Sears or your local, good hardware store and get a strap wrench--a 1/2 inch wide rubber strap on a plastic handle.

nikon_sam
12-09-2009, 22:01
Another option, if this happens again, is rubber kitchen gloves.

That's what worked for me...filter was stuck on a rubber lens hood...:D