PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss Ercona (E. German version of Zeiss ikonta) 523 example photos

geraldfinnegan
01-05-2006, 01:44
Here's a couple with Zeiss Ercona (E. German version of Zeiss ikonta 523)
Great lens: Jena 3.4 ; Dresden Zeiss version of Tessar I believe

Woops, my apologies, just sae this was 35mm forum. This ZEISS is 6x9c. Sorry

http://finnegan.smugmug.com

sf
01-05-2006, 01:51
No. This is a rangefinder forum. 35mm just happens to be the most common. There are lots of MF RFs on here too.

berci
01-05-2006, 01:57
Hey Gerald,

How did you do the focusing? I have an Ercona II, but that one does not have a rangefinder, just a bare viewfinder.

I am trying to find a hotshoe mountable uncoupled rangefinder thing.

The Ercona is practically a Zeiss Ikonta C.

http://www.jennyandernie.co.uk/Old%20Cameras/Ikontas.htm

Bertie

Mike Kovacs
01-05-2006, 05:10
These are super cameras and still relatively a bargain. I've been told by someone that knows what they are talking about, that the CZJ Tessar lenses on these are even sharper than the equivalent West German lenses.

geraldfinnegan
01-05-2006, 06:15
Hey Gerald,

How did you do the focusing? I have an Ercona II, but that one does not have a rangefinder, just a bare viewfinder.

I am trying to find a hotshoe mountable uncoupled rangefinder thing.

The Ercona is practically a Zeiss Ikonta C.

http://www.jennyandernie.co.uk/Old%20Cameras/Ikontas.htm

Bertie

By the way, before I try to answer you let me ask a question: do you have or know where to get a repair manual for the Ercona? I tried ti fix a sticking double-xposure lock myself: disaster.

I just use depth of field to focus. I have no rangefinder either. But I use the depth of field numbers on the lens. It will tell you for a particlualar aperture and distance setting what the depth of field will be. Then, as long as you're shooting within that range, everything will be in focus. To maximize depth of field, shoot at the highest aperture setting you can and you'll get real good depth of field.
Also, on the camera lens barrel you'll see 2 red marks, one on the distance setting "ring", one on the aperture ring (I think that's where they are). Line them up and you have the hyper-focal setting for that lens. With the marks lined up, evrything beyond about 30' to infinity will be in focus. Course, in dim light that won't work, but in normal day light just keep shooting at that setting and make sure you're not focusing close and they'll all be fine, all the shots. There's some good stuff on the web about all this. Just put "hyper focal" into Google, or "Zone focusing" (another focusing technique). Lots of good info.
Best
Jerry

geraldfinnegan
01-05-2006, 06:25
These are super cameras and still relatively a bargain. I've been told by someone that knows what they are talking about, that the CZJ Tessar lenses on these are even sharper than the equivalent West German lenses.
Yeah, they're phenomenal and this Ercona was less than $200 from www.certo6.com, the reputed Einstein of folder-cameras, and that price was cleaned, adjusted etc. Theirs a link to his Ebay store on his site.
Problem with any of these 60 yr old folders is they're finicky, mine has an occasional sticking shutter or a ssticking double exposure lock but if you accept they need tinkering on and off, you can't beat the price on some of them for really inexpensive medium format and with gorgeous lenses.

Mike Kovacs
01-05-2006, 13:04
Paying that much cash for an Ercona, nothing should be sticking on it. Can you send it back to certo6 under warranty? I have folding cameras dating back to the 30's so age is not an excuse :)

I haven't had the pleasure to work on an Ercona. I'm going to guess that it uses the same type of double exposure interlock as the Ikonta and the Moskva-5. It has wings that knock the wind indicator red flag out and a clutch inside to allow it to continue rotating after the indicator is engaged? Its fairly common that those double wind prevention mechanisms need some service. If its of this type, it should be pretty straightforward to fix.

Shutter sticks on slow speeds?

geraldfinnegan
01-05-2006, 13:24
well, it might have been but I screwed up the spring, it's now 5 times as long as it used to be AND forgot what order evrything went back in. I don't really care if the lock stays disabled. I'd rather it just stopped sticking and, if it was that and not the shutter, it will.
I will send it back to certo to check it out.
thanks for the suggestions,
best
jerry