PDA

View Full Version : X Pro1 new FIRMWARE

wild05kid05
04-23-2012, 23:56
The firmware update Ver.1.01 incorporates the following issues:
1.Reduction of chattering noise from iris of lenses in shooting mode.
2.Improvement of phenomenon that parallax compensation does not work under condition of manual focus with OVF bright frame mode.
3.Improvement of phenomenon that OVF quality as low visibility due to too bright OVF under the condition of power save mode during pressing the shutter button halfway.
4.Improvement of phenomenon that delete function does not work after viewing continues shooting mode images.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xpro1/index.html

gavinlg
04-24-2012, 00:28
Awesome :) I don't even own an x-pro1 (yet?) but every time fujifilm updated the x100s firmware, the AF got incrementally better too. I'd advise everyone to keep an eye on the AF speed and characteristics before and after - you might have a nice little surprise :)

Spyro
04-24-2012, 00:32
I love the use of the word "phenomenon" instead of bug or fault or malfunction or whatever.
Like it's some sort of force majeure enforced on this camera by alien species and fuji never had anything to do with it :P

Great news though :)

wild05kid05
04-24-2012, 01:15
Anyone planning on updating firmware, can you test before and after performance

macjim
04-24-2012, 02:15
How do you get the firmware into the camera? I can't find any instructions for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

punctum
04-24-2012, 02:19
Hi
Well I'm all updated now, and the Chatter seems to be gone on both the 35 & 60 I have. The AF speed is improved on the 60 which came with a 1.01 firmware and is now 1.02, the 35mm again AF speed seems improved. The AF speed is welcome but the AF speed worked well enough right out of the box on 20th march the removal of the chatter more pleasing but wasn't deal breaker as some would have it.
So the the good support Fuji showed the x100 owners will continue with the X-pro1.
Sven

dcsang
04-24-2012, 02:25
What a nice surprise to wake up to :) Process looks easy enough - but will have to read through it to make sure I get it right - don't want the camera to lock up and all that - people, from what I've read, claim better AF speeds but that may be just personal preference. Framelines being fixed (hopefully) in the OVF would be a good thing. The chattering, while present, never really irked me but I know it bugged a lot of folks.

As mentioned over at DPreview's forums, I wonder if by cutting out the chatter this would help with battery life.... we'll see right?

Cheers,
Dave

macjim
04-24-2012, 02:30
OK. Found out how: here's the page for the instructions. http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xpro1/download.html

dcsang
04-24-2012, 02:58
Upgraded - Chatter has completely disappeared from the camera. Upgraded the two lenses as well - note that the links for ALL the upgrades (body and lens) is found here:
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/#firmware

As noted elsewhere the firmware upgrade WIPES your custom settings, date, time etc. :(

Not a "pain" for me but it may be for those with specific items that they have not made note of within the settings.

Cheers,
Dave

Macmook
04-24-2012, 03:55
Great stuff. One note: my 60mm was already at V1.01 - the upgrade brought it to V1.02

x.z.
04-24-2012, 04:11
wild05kid05, thank you for sharing the news.

Fuji must have a long list of "phenomenon" :-) I wonder how Fuji prioritize all of them. Anyway it's good to see some of the "phenomenon" was fixed.

kbg32
04-24-2012, 04:20
The "phenomenon" with the most complaints go to the top of the list.

Spyro
04-24-2012, 04:36
Not to be ungrateful but I wonder why they didn't fix the phenomenon with the min shutter speed in auto iso.

Dante_Stella
04-24-2012, 06:29
Confirmed that AF speed with the 35mm is now better. Love that Fuji corrected the MF framelines but did not provide a corrected reticle for on-demand focusing.

Dante

furcafe
04-24-2012, 07:52
Haven't noticed any improvements in AF speed w/the 18/2. Since that was already the fastest focusing lens, perhaps it's even a bit slower in dark conditions in non-Power Save mode, though if the accuracy is improved I can live w/the trade-off.

PrecisionCamera
04-24-2012, 08:18
Beat me to it wildkid! I just blogged about this on our site with the individual links for the firmware updates.

The updates are easy to implement, just download the files to a computer, place them in the root directory on your SD card, place that card in your camera (with a full battery charge) and turn it on while holding down the DISP/BACK button. This starts the camera in update mode and walks you through the rest of the process.

One thing you really have to pay attention to when getting the files from Fuji is that they are the full download. A phenomenon (like how I used that word? :) ) that can occur due to fluctuating internet connections is that the full file does not download and then you cannot complete the update because of a corrupted file. The respective file sizes are:

The X-Pro1 Body update is 36.5MB
The XF18/2.0 Lens is 385KB
The XF35/1.4 Lens is 385KB
And The XF60/2.4 Lens is 385KB

You can find the link to my article on the updates here (http://blog.precision-camera.com/2012/04/the-first-firmware-update-for-the-fuji-x-pro1-is-now-live.html#more-2410).

So happy to hear the aperture chatter is gone!

wild05kid05
04-24-2012, 09:58
I haven't updated mine yet (doing it this afternoon). Glad the chatter is gone, but do you guys still find the brightness level in OVF and LCD consistent ?

kdemas
04-24-2012, 10:18
Just downloaded and updated the firmware, quick and easy. Haven't had a chance to test it yet but kudos to Fuji for responsively addressing some sore points so quickly. I'm interested to see if the "chatter fix" effects the EVF or OVF illumination at all in use (that's what the chatter was for I believe, to keep the view at a consistent brightness level).

JHutchins
04-24-2012, 10:49
I haven't updated mine yet (doing it this afternoon). Glad the chatter is gone, but do you guys still find the brightness level in OVF and LCD consistent ?

Post firmware update the aperture still opens and closes depending on how much light is falling on the sensor, but it does it quietly. It's very nice now...

Kent
04-24-2012, 11:04
Already???

Is that a good or a bad sign? ;)

wild05kid05
04-24-2012, 11:09
Fuji did really pull this one off, the blade still dances, but it's inaudible. That doesn't mean we get better battery life by the way

aanokhin
04-24-2012, 11:26
Just updated all 4 - subjectively AF is way better than before and "chatter" is gone... will keep testing

huntjump
04-24-2012, 11:54
great news

PrecisionCamera
04-24-2012, 12:48
Yes! Updated our floor model and can confirm noiseless aperture, but have not had a chance to fully test other "phenomenon" fixes for results. I'll be posting about it in my full review on Thursday after testing out the firmware adjustments.

scho
04-24-2012, 13:16
Well, "aperture chatter" was at the bottom of my list for firmware fixes. #1 was give me the ability to assign a minimum acceptable shutter speed in auto ISO setup. Patiently waiting for next FW upgrade.

celluloidprop
04-24-2012, 13:28
no chatter, I don't notice a difference in AF speed

Agreed on auto ISO, but I suspect that may never get 'fixed.' People were asking Canon for user-adjustable AISO for years and they kept using the same 1/FL for camera after camera.

FA Limited
04-24-2012, 14:12
Agreed on auto ISO, but I suspect that may never get 'fixed.' People were asking Canon for user-adjustable AISO for years and they kept using the same 1/FL for camera after camera.

is that what the Fuji uses?

gdi
04-24-2012, 14:13
Confirmed that AF speed with the 35mm is now better. Love that Fuji corrected the MF framelines but did not provide a corrected reticle for on-demand focusing.

Dante

So you think Fuji fixed the AF and didn't list it the "Detail of the Update"?

Maybe, but I can remember all the M8 (and many other cameras/manufacturers)updates that people insisted included undocumented improvements to the ISO performance - but usually wasn't the case!

celluloidprop
04-24-2012, 14:16
is that what the Fuji uses?

Fuji is using 1/FL equivalent - for the 35mm it's 1/52, for the 18 it's 1/30.
I'm not sure if Canon uses true FL or equivalent on crop bodies.

wild05kid05
04-24-2012, 15:51
AF does feel snappier for sure, not placebo effect !

Keith
04-24-2012, 16:05
It amazes me that in testing this camera they didn't wonder if the chattering aperture blades would annoy some users ... and if it was a simple firmware alteration to stop it why not sort it out first before having it discussed all over the interweb!

wild05kid05
04-24-2012, 16:17
HOWEVER, as the blades move slower, it will take longer for the VF/LCD to adjust brightness

Dante_Stella
04-24-2012, 17:43
So you think Fuji fixed the AF and didn't list it the "Detail of the Update"?

Maybe, but I can remember all the M8 (and many other cameras/manufacturers)updates that people insisted included undocumented improvements to the ISO performance - but usually wasn't the case!

Probably recompiled the firmware if nothing else. The X100 seemed to get faster with every iteration, but an AF speed increase for still frame was only documented once.

Dante

fiddlergene1
04-24-2012, 19:11
Update was easy, except it wiped out all my settings so I had to do them all over again -boo hoo! Note that the RAW converter has been updated also. Not that it's earth shattering. Adobe should be out with an update to camera raw soon.

clicker
04-24-2012, 21:38
Anyone else attempting to upgrade Xpro firmware using a mac and having difficulty-:mad: error message stating new firmware not on card after installed?

Kibabalu
04-24-2012, 21:54
No issue here on a Mac with Lion 10.7.3

GaryLH
04-24-2012, 22:56
Fuji firmware updater requires that the firmware is in the root of the flash card (sd) plus the file name must be exactly the one specified.

The original name downloaded on the Mac can be auto renamed if the Mac discovers a file with the same name in the download directory. For example a previously downloaded file with the name xx1234yy.dat, the next download with the same file name the Mac will use xx1234yy-1.dat instead.

Not sure if either of these two could be your problem..

Good luck
Gary

Latecomer
04-24-2012, 23:32
No problem on Snow Leopard.

Cheers

lam
04-25-2012, 01:12
I just exchanged my NEX-7 + Zeiss 24/1.8 for a X-Pro 1 and 35/1.4, I didn't even turn it on before flashing the new firmware, and I was using a Mac 27".

Needless to say, the performance of the camera is astounding to me, the focus seems great actually.

Not entirely sure how it could go wrong if you're just copying DAT files over to the card.

macjim
04-25-2012, 01:57
Anyone else attempting to upgrade Xpro firmware using a mac and having difficulty-:mad: error message stating new firmware not on card after installed?

First of all. Did you format the SD card before you tried to add the firmware to it? You have to have a clean formatted SD card so any old spare cards will do. Then download the software and drag it to the desktop, then drag onto the card. I had no problems at all on my MacBook Pro with any of the firmware updates, the only problem was finding out how to do it but after I clicked the download link, the instructions were revealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Canon Alberic
04-25-2012, 09:22

Yes, the downloaded files were each assigned an extra '.DAT' suffix, e.g.

FPUPDATE.DAT.DAT

Once I manually renamed each one and added these to the SD card, all was well.

boomguy57
04-25-2012, 09:29
Dave, I can't believe you made the leap. This after swearing the NEX-7 was a keeper (less than a week ago)...

:D

I just exchanged my NEX-7 + Zeiss 24/1.8 for a X-Pro 1 and 35/1.4, I didn't even turn it on before flashing the new firmware, and I was using a Mac 27".

Needless to say, the performance of the camera is astounding to me, the focus seems great actually.

Not entirely sure how it could go wrong if you're just copying DAT files over to the card.

clicker
04-25-2012, 12:42
Thanks everyone for solving my download problem. The issue was I needed to remove the extra number (1) on the file name before it would load.

AusDLK
04-25-2012, 13:17
My camera and two lenses (18 and 35) updated without a hitch. At first I failed to notice that there were three separate updates required but the camera told me that I needed to update the lens too.

Just sure you format the SD card in the camera and copy the single .DAT file to it. I did this three times in total.

It's all easy as pie.

I'm loving this camera. My M9 has not left the shelf in two weeks. I really can see life without a Leica now... I can just "see it", that doesn't mean I'm ready to live it just yet.